The fountain outside the midland station

Does anyone know where the steel was imported from for the fountain outside the Midland Station? Am I right in thinking it is not Sheffield steel?

there was a big thing at the time when everyone found out it was sourced  and manufactored outside of sheffield, 

Maybe it was cheaper. If sourcing abroad kept £10 a year off our Council Tax, then it is surely worth it. 

To be fair, we are all corresponding about this subject on a piece of electrical engineering that was most probably made in China.

hmmm not sure how accurate this is, but i found https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJQ6DvQxJcbFMAHCVLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZTJwYXBkBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwM5BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1544729711/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.welcometosheffield.co.uk%2fcontent%2ffiles%2f1281%2f/RK=2/RS=2TvRodJBIH3FKv23mo0ikv2eP.I-

which says the steel in The Cutting Edge sculpture is 'Sheffield Steel'... no definition of what 'Sheffield' steel is, mind you,

1 hour ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Does anyone know where the steel was imported from for the fountain outside the Midland Station? Am I right in thinking it is not Sheffield steel?

The steel was supplied by Outokumpu in Sheffield but the company that made it in to the sculpture were Jordans in Bristol.

1 hour ago, hotrock said:

there was a big thing at the time when everyone found out it was sourced  and manufactored outside of sheffield, 

Not true.

I thought that they had originally stated the steel was sourced in Poland.

I think they could have made more parking spaces where the fountain is.  The odd time I used the short wait pick up zone it was always full, but I suppose any one coming to Sheffield for the first time by train

the fountain does look impressive.

pleased the steel didn’t come from China.

Edited by Groose
font size shouting

12 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I think they could have made more parking spaces where the fountain is.  The odd time I used the short wait pick up zone it was always full, but I suppose any one coming to Sheffield for the first time by train

the fountain does look impressive.

pleased the steel didn’t come from China.

Are you using the free short stay in the  car park (30mins) or the drop off zone?

Edited by Groose
font size shouting

Not sure about the source of the metal, but Richard Hawley had a point when he likened it to a gigantic gents' urinal.

Nothing wrong in liking Sheffield but this world and universe are much bigger than this little steel town.

Thinking that steel of sculpture in front of station has to be from Sheffield is ridiculous and will show and display the shortminded and universal thinkers on this topic.

Even if the steel came from the moon it would be fine, Sheffield would be nothing in darkness without a beautiful full moon.

46 minutes ago, dutch said:

Nothing wrong in liking Sheffield but this world and universe are much bigger than this little steel town.

Thinking that steel of sculpture in front of station has to be from Sheffield is ridiculous and will show and display the shortminded and universal thinkers on this topic.

Even if the steel came from the moon it would be fine, Sheffield would be nothing in darkness without a beautiful full moon.

Seen as Sheffield is graded as the best steel you can have and fact we produce it I feel pretty ****** off if it was China steel! We sold off the recipe and now buying it from them it's false economy! Plus we call our self's the steel city it be pretty pointless buying it in from else were!!