Sign in to follow this  

Handsworth

Handsworth has been mentioned a few times when people are asking for reasonably cheap properties. Does anyone know what this area is like? Is there a reason (there usually is) why houses are still relatively cheap in this area? Seems to have a lot of positives, ie reasonably close to town, local shops, good bus route. I'm sure there are plenty of negatives though, anyone got any opinions?

Thanks,

Marc

Handsworth is ok! Just stay away from the shops at night... Crowds of rough looking kids litter that area (as they do most areas) so just watch out :)

After having a proper look round the area I know where you mean, the houses I have been looking at are the other side of the Parkway (opposite side to ASDA) which seems a little nicer. May be blinkered because of the cheap prices though! Stuff seems to sell pretty quickly too which is usually a good sign, although not very good when you are trying to buy one yourself!

Yeah, you're also on the 52 route too... No need to run for the bus, they come in 5s on this route... However when I want one, I have to wait... Hmm!

Some of my family live at Handsworth and...no disrespect...it would not be my first choice when it comes to buying a house. It is cheaper. My family can't sell theirs for a decent price even though the house itself if all right. Go for plan B if I was you.

Some of my family live at Handsworth and...no disrespect...it would not be my first choice when it comes to buying a house.

I agree, it wouldn't be my first choice either... But you've got to weigh up the pro's and con's.... It is cheaper, its convenient for ASDA and the parkway... If you get a house away from the shops you'll avoid the local thuggery and there are some nice people living around there... My Auntie for one! Oh yes and the 52 bus route... Oh how I envy people on that route, I bet they hardly ever have to wait for a bus!

They are pretty differeny opinions on the area, anyone else have any opinions, especially if you have lived there or have family who do etc. It is so difficult to pick out the nicest areas when your budget restricts you to ones that are never going to be top of peoples lists.

Would people recommend any other areas that are still reasonably cheap?

Have you spoken to any Estate Agents ? I mean chatted about certain areas ? They are in the know as to cheaper areas which may be up and coming. What sort of property are you looking for ?

I have tried talking to the agents but the good areas are always the ones where they have lots of properties to sell! I am always reluctant to take advice on something from the person trying to sell me it.

We are looking for a two bed semi/terrace not in need of too much work and can afford upto £80000. As i'm sure you can imagine the choice is pretty limited with that budget, when trying to avoid the bad areas.

March, one of my pals is an estate agent. She had a baby a couple of weeks ago so I don't want to bombard her with work-related questions but I can ask her impartial advice if you like. She would at least be honest with me!

If you could that would be great, I know estate agents have some really good knowledge of the areas but when you are their customer they obviously want what is best for themselves. Impartial advice from them would be excellent.

Thanks,

Marc

I have sent her a message and so will let you know when I hear back from her. I am also hoping to get to see her this weekend and to meet the new born.