Disgregard of 'no right turn' and 'no entry' road signs

10 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I always have fun FORE! :)

I of course know the turn you mean.

Yes, I did it too occasionally (though I rarely work that area, so not much now) - that's because the legal route is too long, and customers complain. This might sound like a crap reason or excuse, but unless you have driven taxis, you won't get this.

I even saw a car going from Holme lane UP Walkley Lane the other week!

Luckily not one vehicle in sight coming down.

Now the legal route for THAT direction IS a long way.

I will always remember years ago when a business man pulled along side me pleading with me to show him where aiselwood mill was (nursery st)he would pay me even though he was in his car and I was in my cab and he was very very near at west bar . 'Please please,I've been driving round for an hour!,just take me!).ah the joy of driving in the city centre!

On 12/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, Martin C said:

In the space of a twenty minute walk in the last half hour I have witnessed five car drivers make right turns contrary to the clearly displayed road signs.

Two car drivers turned right out of Silver Street Head into Tenter Lane near the Hampton by Hilton Hotel.  A mere five minutes later three car drivers turned right out of Bailey Streey into Broad Lane opposite Butlers Balti House.

In addition there's a car regularly parked in the wrong direction on the one-way Holland Street (off Rockingham St alongside the Q Car Park) and I've occasionally seen this vehicle turn right off Rockingham St into Holland St against the No Entry signs.

Ignorance or arrogance?

I've done that, turn right out of Bailey Street into Broad Lane, well actually, it was Bailey Lane, not Bailey Street in my case.  You know, the long road that runs between West Street and Broad Street.  

I'll tell you why I did it.  Because I'd originally planned to park somewhere near John Lewis.  I'd entered via Pinstone Street and Cross Burgess Street and found nothing and ended up following the one-way system, which then took me along Leopold Street and Trippet Lane, to Bailey Lane.  Miles away from where I wanted to be.  As I approached the bottom of Bailey Lane I observed that now I had to go left, which would take me up the hill to the University roundabout - even further away from where I wanted to be.   I thought I may find some parking around Campo Lane, but that meant disobeying the road sign and making a right turn.  I thought about it for a moment.  I don't like to disobey road signs or rules necessarily, but the road was clear, there was no traffic coming in either direction, and I considered it safe to emerge and turn right, which I duly did without causing any problem to anyone.  

It certainly wasn't "ignorance" because I was fully aware of what I was doing in relation to the road signs.  And I don't think it was "arrogance" either, because I didn't think "never mind, sod that!" I was just very frustrated at the ridiculous one way system around the city centre and the lack of parking and I made a calculated decision that it was safe to make a right turn at that point in time.  

I think a bigger issue is the lack of parking around the city centre and the one way systems that take you all over the place and are not easy to follow.  

I'm glad I made your day though!:)

Alderson Road on to Bramall Lane. Left turn only yet 90% of cars go straight on 

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I've done that, turn right out of Bailey Street into Broad Lane, well actually, it was Bailey Lane, not Bailey Street in my case.  You know, the long road that runs between West Street and Broad Street.  

I'll tell you why I did it.  Because I'd originally planned to park somewhere near John Lewis.  I'd entered via Pinstone Street and Cross Burgess Street and found nothing and ended up following the one-way system, which then took me along Leopold Street and Trippet Lane, to Bailey Lane.  Miles away from where I wanted to be.  As I approached the bottom of Bailey Lane I observed that now I had to go left, which would take me up the hill to the University roundabout - even further away from where I wanted to be.   I thought I may find some parking around Campo Lane, but that meant disobeying the road sign and making a right turn.  I thought about it for a moment.  I don't like to disobey road signs or rules necessarily, but the road was clear, there was no traffic coming in either direction, and I considered it safe to emerge and turn right, which I duly did without causing any problem to anyone.  

It certainly wasn't "ignorance" because I was fully aware of what I was doing in relation to the road signs.  And I don't think it was "arrogance" either, because I didn't think "never mind, sod that!" I was just very frustrated at the ridiculous one way system around the city centre and the lack of parking and I made a calculated decision that it was safe to make a right turn at that point in time.  

I think a bigger issue is the lack of parking around the city centre and the one way systems that take you all over the place and are not easy to follow.  

I'm glad I made your day though!:)

All understandable but if everybody does this when they're frustrated or confused what's the point in having these road signs in the first place?

... I would have thought  the correct way to head from Trippet Lane if you want to legally and safely turn right into Broad Lane is via the traffic lights at the bottom of Rockingham Street (but I guess that might inconvenience motorists by having to wait a couple of minutes).

A while ago I came down to Holme Lane over the bridge next to the kebab house where you have to turn left. I and the cars in front of me were sat there ages because the woman in the car at the junction was trying to turn right, either she thought the turn left sign didn't apply to her or she didn't know the sign meant turn left not right.

Edited by iansheff

You see a lot of cars making a right turn there.

I've even done it myself when it was clear both ways and I wasn't causing a hold up waiting for a space to do it.

Driving about Sheffield and every where else to be honest I often wonder why we have road signs, lines and arrows in the road... people just take no notice of them and if you do adhere to them and don't get out of somebody's way you run the risk of abuse.

people often ignore  traffic signs, but with 22,000 less police in england what can they do,people park next to junctions,but no charges due to no one to police the  streets.

Charles Street at Arundel Gate - soooooooooo many arrogant/ignorant drivers.  Cars exiting the Q-Park and turning right around the bollards instead of the 'left only' - see also turning left on to Arundel Gate instead of 'right turn only' which involves cutting across the pedestrian crossing while they have the green man.  Cars coming down Charles Street - where it's one-way UP after the car park entrance - turning left from the new office block underground car park there, and also from Union Street/Norfolk Street so again driving around the bollards.   Cars coming out of Charles Street either oblivious to or just plainly ignoring the traffic lights.  The number of people who just creep out looking for a gap in the traffic is unreal.  And finally, cars exiting the car park and for some inexplicable reason seeing the slip lane FROM Arundel Gate and going down that the wrong way.  😲

Similarly the one-way/priority system around Arundel Street, many drivers get to the crossroads with Charles Street and chuck a left towards the car park instead of going back and entering it the right way.

And never mind signs - traffic lights these days just change colour.  

Edited by Shazbat

For years Sheffield council has installed road priorities and systems then made public that they will not enforce them. We now wonder why motorists dont observe traffic signs and lights. 

Answer:- The council have told us by implication that its ok to do so.