Disgregard of 'no right turn' and 'no entry' road signs

I must say, I think the Sheffield council do a fine job of making life difficult for motorists.  It's difficult to park around the city centre, and it's not cheap.  

It's rare that I don't observe road signs though, very, very rare indeed.  The last time I blatantly disregarded one was about 5 years ago.  It was that little stretch of London Road where it joins Asline Road.  If you are wanting to go straight on there towards Heeley, and the lights at the Wolseley Road junction, you can't.  The traffic system makes you turn left there to go up Asline Road and then right at James's cycle shop and then down the hill, through 2 sets of traffic lights, before turning right onto Queen's Road, then through another set of traffic lights, till you reach the lights at the Wolseley Road junction.  The alternative was a tempting 50 yard stretch of the remaining bit of London Road.

I chose to go straight on rather than all that palava.  A few days later I got a letter through the post showing photographic evidence of my "crime" and I got a fine for it.  Fair enough! I broke the rules and paid the penalty.  I haven't done it since and am very wary of taking a wrong turn because I know the Sheffield Council will be looking to make money out of me for doing so.  

22 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I must say, I think the Sheffield council do a fine job of making life difficult for motorists.  It's difficult to park around the city centre, and it's not cheap.  

It's rare that I don't observe road signs though, very, very rare indeed.  The last time I blatantly disregarded one was about 5 years ago.  It was that little stretch of London Road where it joins Asline Road.  If you are wanting to go straight on there towards Heeley, and the lights at the Wolseley Road junction, you can't.  The traffic system makes you turn left there to go up Asline Road and then right at James's cycle shop and then down the hill, through 2 sets of traffic lights, before turning right onto Queen's Road, then through another set of traffic lights, till you reach the lights at the Wolseley Road junction.  The alternative was a tempting 50 yard stretch of the remaining bit of London Road.

I chose to go straight on rather than all that palava.  A few days later I got a letter through the post showing photographic evidence of my "crime" and I got a fine for it.  Fair enough! I broke the rules and paid the penalty.  I haven't done it since and am very wary of taking a wrong turn because I know the Sheffield Council will be looking to make money out of me for doing so.  

Glad to see the system works and is helping to train people in how to use our roads.

I hope the costs of these lessons are covered by the learners as I don't think it's fair on the people and businesses of Sheffield to pay for the continuing education of  people who have forgotten the purpose of their driving test. 

On 12/17/2018 at 1:13 PM, DerbyTup said:

Driving in Sheffield is no more or less difficult than in any major city.

The one way systems and banned turns etc are in the most part intended to speed up and improve traffic flow. All major cities use similar measures.

Parking in Sheffield is in fact considerably cheaper than other major cities nearby like Leeds and Manchester. Both these Councils charge up to £3 per hour to Sheffield’s maximum of £2. You can still park within the inner ring road in Sheffield in a Council car park for as little as 50p an hour or £2 for the full day. Name another major city in the UK where parking is that cheap.

Edited by Planner1

On 12/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, DerbyTup said:

It's really not difficult to park in the city centre. There are loads of multi-storeys, surface and on-street car parks.

It's no more expensive than any other city.

I imagine from other posts you are happy to spend what some might see as good chunk of cash on a nice meal/pint, so why do you judge parking to be expensive?

Edited by Bargepole23

i'll be parking in the city centre this evening, i'll be a few hours.

it'll cost me a quid.

59 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Without the problems of people obeying the rules of the road?

You'd probably think differently if you were a pedestrian who had to jump out of the way because people turn right across a green man (Hillsborough corner, seen it happen).

Exactly. It makes life far more difficult as a pedestrian if drivers make manoeuvres/turns that you (even as a pedestrian!) are fully aware are illegal. When crossing a road that's otherwise clear we shouldn't have to take into account that some arrogant/ignorant twerp is going to disregard roads signs or traffic lights and head towards you when the legal turn would have taken them away from you,

3 hours ago, Dragon 2 said:

worst laid out junction in the country

it's a roundabout.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:59 AM, Dragon 2 said:

For years Sheffield council has installed road priorities and systems then made public that they will not enforce them.

Can you provide a link to these announcements?

Edited by Flexo

You probably exaggerate, I use the correct lane at BS roundabout, as I see many others do, and quite a few even indicate.  A sizable minority do get it wrong though.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, Annie Bynnol said:

Glad to see the system works and is helping to train people in how to use our roads.

I hope the costs of these lessons are covered by the learners as I don't think it's fair on the people and businesses of Sheffield to pay for the continuing education of  people who have forgotten the purpose of their driving test. 

What  a lovely comment! :gag:

The system isn't helping to train me how to use the roads.  I know how to use the roads.  I chose, on that occasion, to not follow the rules.  If I had been driving a bus or taxi though it would have been perfectly legal.  So we are not talking about me risking anyone's life or limbs here.  Neither have I forgotten the purpose of my driving test.  I am admitting to human error of judgement and not complaining at all that I was caught and punished for it.  

On 12/19/2018 at 2:45 PM, ads36 said:

i'll be parking in the city centre this evening, i'll be a few hours.

it'll cost me a quid.

Good for you mate!  I admit it doesn't cost a lot to park "in the evenings" in the city centre.  I've even done it for free.  I was referring to peak shopping times mate - you know, when the shops are open.  That's when we want folks to come into town - to spend money in the shops.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:55 PM, Bargepole23 said:

It's really not difficult to park in the city centre. There are loads of multi-storeys, surface and on-street car parks.

It's no more expensive than any other city.

I imagine from other posts you are happy to spend what some might see as good chunk of cash on a nice meal/pint, so why do you judge parking to be expensive?

Oh heyup!  Here we go...:rolleyes:

Someone who's not only read the stuff I have posted on other topics but now wants to try and use that as ammunition against me in a counter-argument on this thread.

I think it's difficult to park in the city centre.  This is my opinion.  The reason I say that is because the city centre is difficult to negotiate due to various one-way systems and the fact there are regular changes to the routes, presumably whilst a lot of this building work is going on. 

There is limited on street parking near to the shops.  I regularly try to find on street parking for a short stay and it isn't easy at peak times.  You can end up driving round in a huge loop to do a circuit of the likely on-street parking areas.  Eventually, if you are going to be more than 1 hour, you really need to plump for a multi-storey or large surface area car park.

There are a number of multi-storey car parks, but some of these are VERY expensive.  The last time I parked up for just over a couple of hours in the NCP off Campo Lane and came back to a charge for over £8.00.   I think that is expensive.    Is it more expensive than other cities?  I honestly don't know for certain - but I don't really see the relevance of that point?  I occasionally drive to Leeds for shopping.  I usually park in a multi-storey there in the Markets Area and it usually costs me about £4 for a couple of hours.  I shop regularly in Manchester but rarely drive there as it's easy to get there by train. 

I don't think I am alone in thinking that parking in Sheffield is expensive and not easy.  Just look at the impact that easy and free parking at Meadowhall has had on the city centre.  It's just about killed it off.    I welcome the new shopping development in the city centre and hope it will breathe life back into it.  I think that making parking easier and cheaper will help as well.

If you think different to that fine - you are entitled to your opinion.  This is mine.  

As for the reference to me enjoying a nice meal and a pint, so why don't I want to spend that on parking?  That line of argumentation is totally baffling to me tbh.  But I suppose it's because I see having a nice meal or a pint as being pleasurable whereas I see paying for parking as being not so.    But I'd be much happier paying for parking if the shops that I was parking up to visit were top notch - like the ones in Leeds and Manchester - but they aren't!  

Maybe one day they will be.  And maybe the Sheffield City Council will encourage people to come and spend there money in them, by making it easy to get in and out of the city and to park whilst there for a reasonable price?

Edited by DerbyTup

Ignoring the privately run NCP and it's charges, it's a fact that council parking is cheaper in Sheffield than in equivalent cities.

I guess I drive around the city centre fairly regularly, so I don't see how it's particularly difficult to reach the majority of the parking.  Campo lane as you mention is very easy to reach, not far off Derek Dooley Way, it's what, a left turn, a straight on, left turn and you've reached it.

I'm less familiar with the other end of town, but you can park for upto 2 hrs in the Wickes car park, although the parking wardens are prone to lie and make claims against you when you haven't been there for 2 hrs yet.

I can usually find some parking around CCC (Go outdoors) on the street, and the cost isn't high, but I don't go down there all that often.

11 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

What  a lovely comment! :gag:

The system isn't helping to train me how to use the roads.  I know how to use the roads.  I chose, on that occasion, to not follow the rules.  If I had been driving a bus or taxi though it would have been perfectly legal.  So we are not talking about me risking anyone's life or limbs here.  Neither have I forgotten the purpose of my driving test.  I am admitting to human error of judgement and not complaining at all that I was caught and punished for it.  

Good for you mate!  I admit it doesn't cost a lot to park "in the evenings" in the city centre.  I've even done it for free.  I was referring to peak shopping times mate - you know, when the shops are open.  That's when we want folks to come into town - to spend money in the shops.

Oh heyup!  Here we go...:rolleyes:

Someone who's not only read the stuff I have posted on other topics but now wants to try and use that as ammunition against me in a counter-argument on this thread.

I think it's difficult to park in the city centre.  This is my opinion.  The reason I say that is because the city centre is difficult to negotiate due to various one-way systems and the fact there are regular changes to the routes, presumably whilst a lot of this building work is going on. 

There is limited on street parking near to the shops.  I regularly try to find on street parking for a short stay and it isn't easy at peak times.  You can end up driving round in a huge loop to do a circuit of the likely on-street parking areas.  Eventually, if you are going to be more than 1 hour, you really need to plump for a multi-storey or large surface area car park.

There are a number of multi-storey car parks, but some of these are VERY expensive.  The last time I parked up for just over a couple of hours in the NCP off Campo Lane and came back to a charge for over £8.00.   I think that is expensive.    Is it more expensive than other cities?  I honestly don't know for certain - but I don't really see the relevance of that point?  I occasionally drive to Leeds for shopping.  I usually park in a multi-storey there in the Markets Area and it usually costs me about £4 for a couple of hours.  I shop regularly in Manchester but rarely drive there as it's easy to get there by train. 

I don't think I am alone in thinking that parking in Sheffield is expensive and not easy.  Just look at the impact that easy and free parking at Meadowhall has had on the city centre.  It's just about killed it off.    I welcome the new shopping development in the city centre and hope it will breathe life back into it.  I think that making parking easier and cheaper will help as well.

If you think different to that fine - you are entitled to your opinion.  This is mine.  

As for the reference to me enjoying a nice meal and a pint, so why don't I want to spend that on parking?  That line of argumentation is totally baffling to me tbh.  But I suppose it's because I see having a nice meal or a pint as being pleasurable whereas I see paying for parking as being not so.    But I'd be much happier paying for parking if the shops that I was parking up to visit were top notch - like the ones in Leeds and Manchester - but they aren't!  

Maybe one day they will be.  And maybe the Sheffield City Council will encourage people to come and spend there money in them, by making it easy to get in and out of the city and to park whilst there for a reasonable price?

Whatever. You have picked probably the most expensive car park in the city as your yardstick.

My comparison with the price of a pint. Many drivers have a misplaced sense of entitlement and feel that parking should be cheap, or even free. Wrong, in my opinion.  The time of low cost motoring should be long gone.