Disgregard of 'no right turn' and 'no entry' road signs

In the space of a twenty minute walk in the last half hour I have witnessed five car drivers make right turns contrary to the clearly displayed road signs.

Two car drivers turned right out of Silver Street Head into Tenter Lane near the Hampton by Hilton Hotel.  A mere five minutes later three car drivers turned right out of Bailey Streey into Broad Lane opposite Butlers Balti House.

In addition there's a car regularly parked in the wrong direction on the one-way Holland Street (off Rockingham St alongside the Q Car Park) and I've occasionally seen this vehicle turn right off Rockingham St into Holland St against the No Entry signs.

Ignorance or arrogance?

The most abused ones I have seen are both ways from Glossop road into  Hanover Way and off Glossop road into Claremont place at the side of the Hallamshire.

Arrogance. I would be pretty sure the drivers have studied the highway code, they just can't be bothered to apply it. It's the lack of police presence that leads to drivers becoming complacent,  they end up thinking no one cares and that it harms nobody. While it's not a priority policing issue, not prosecuting the drivers just leads to a further deterioration of driving standards.  

1 hour ago, Martin C said:

In the space of a twenty minute walk in the last half hour I have witnessed five car drivers make right turns contrary to the clearly displayed road signs.

Two car drivers turned right out of Silver Street Head into Tenter Lane near the Hampton by Hilton Hotel.  A mere five minutes later three car drivers turned right out of Bailey Streey into Broad Lane opposite Butlers Balti House.

In addition there's a car regularly parked in the wrong direction on the one-way Holland Street (off Rockingham St alongside the Q Car Park) and I've occasionally seen this vehicle turn right off Rockingham St into Holland St against the No Entry signs.

Ignorance or arrogance?

Mostly over a few week period, I caught 57 things that I could be bothered to copy. You want to drive all day, and see how many things you see! lol (can't work out new smilies)

I think though that some of the examples you give, are just decisions made, because of traffic problems, especially at rush hour.

Turning right out of Silver StH, I think is dangerous in many cases. The right turn off Bailey is people avoiding Rockingham St, which although illegal move, is understandable (though I don't do this, I don't need to) I never use Rockingham St at rush hour.

The number of near misses on West Bar Green r'bout has drastically increased lately. Strangely not in rush hour, but just at busy times. At rush hour, people blocking exits is the main problem, whereas when busy but moving, people pull out without slowing or checking. (imo)

Christ Ash, you have fun.

When you're on the 81/82 route, look for the cars (usually taxis) turning right from the bottom of Walkley lane (left only).

24 minutes ago, FORE said:

When you're on the 81/82 route, look for the cars (usually taxis) turning right from the bottom of Walkley lane (left only).

I always have fun FORE! :)

I of course know the turn you mean.

Yes, I did it too occasionally (though I rarely work that area, so not much now) - that's because the legal route is too long, and customers complain. This might sound like a crap reason or excuse, but unless you have driven taxis, you won't get this.

Thanks for the replies. To clarify all these observations were about 8:15pm and all were private cars not taxis.

The one-way section of Brunswick St and the bit of Collegiate Crescent round the corner.  Probably drivers avoiding congestion on Eccy Rd and the ringroad.

10 hours ago, Martin C said:

Ignorance or arrogance?

The right turn out of SSH is common.  As is coming up Tenter Street and making a right turn where it clearly says straight on only.

8 hours ago, FORE said:

And more occasionally you see one turn right at Hillsborough corner, across the green man, from the side heading out of town.

And very commonly, cars going through the bus gate straight on out of town.

I try and avoid the city centre cos you can't turn right,you can't turn left, you can't go forward ,all the council wants is for you to cause congestion!.then they complain!

If you follow the signs in city centre you just go round and all over before you head your way.

8 hours ago, Martin C said:

Thanks for the replies. To clarify all these observations were about 8:15pm and all were private cars not taxis.

Don't say that please!! we prefer when we have an obvious & distinct group of people to target. Taxi drivers being a favourite as they are all the same anyway.

By saying 'private cars' you make it sound like they were all different people, with their own minds, and not working as a collective 😉