Carpet prices in general

Carpet shops that dont display the price per sqM....salses person asks what your budget is, and as if by magic the one you are interested in is just over budget (because they know you will probably stretch a bit).

Theres a lot of sharks in that industry

On 12/13/2018 at 2:46 PM, willman said:

My personal issue with carpet prices is the fact that my OH changes them every 2 years for new colours.

So i can't see the need for what i class as expensive carpet.

Neither can i ...maybe you should be changing your OH...lol..😉

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

No door is better than one you cannot open- the hinge plates were on the other side.

The carpet fitters left it for the painter and door hanger to do was their job and I had access to the room- a predictable outcome.

the hinge plates were on the other side????  as i said carpet fitters are just that as is the painter  and the door hanger.....joiner

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Makes sense, if you know it won't need to last "very long" in terms of carpet, then paying £600 - £800 for an average sized room might seem a bit pointless.

What do you call an average sized room??

17 hours ago, euclid said:

Neither can i ...maybe you should be changing your OH...lol..😉

the hinge plates were on the other side????  as i said carpet fitters are just that as is the painter  and the door hanger.....joiner

What do you call an average sized room??

20 sqr metres would fairly normal for a living room.  Obviously some are smaller, some are bigger, some are much bigger.

17 hours ago, euclid said:

And I am the paying customer.

Tale of Two Carpet Fitters working for the same carpet shop.

Fitter one fits carpet and removes door because it is two tight.

Fitter two fits carpet and  jams the (glass) door so tight that I cannot get in to the room.

Which carpet fitter has shown judgement? Care? Communicated with the customer? A professional approach?

Which carpet fitter should I use next time?

In this case we had also asked the shop to provide the same fitter for the second and subsequent jobs.

They said they would, they did not, as I was not satisfied with the second fitting I cancelled the subsequent jobs.

My observations to the OP is that satisfaction with fitting is as important as the product to the customer, so follow up and feedback are crucial.

re-doors i think its fair that a carpet fitter just removes the door as they are carpet fitters not joiners,also they are paid per square yard of carpet they fit,they take the good with the bad,ie HSL takes longer than a lounge or bedroom,what i would advise is lounges,hsl take more footfall than a bedroom so spend less on bedrooms,re-furniture you will find most fitters ,like you to do your best,re-waste from the job thats the customers property and if a fitter took it ,it could be classed as theft,i always get my trusted fitter separate from the shop and i just ask him to collect from where i purchase it from,i also prefer to choose from a shop that has stock as i always find i get a better deal.

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

And I am the paying customer.

Tale of Two Carpet Fitters working for the same carpet shop.

Fitter one fits carpet and removes door because it is two tight.

Fitter two fits carpet and  jams the (glass) door so tight that I cannot get in to the room.

Which carpet fitter has shown judgement? Care? Communicated with the customer? A professional approach?

Which carpet fitter should I use next time?

In this case we had also asked the shop to provide the same fitter for the second and subsequent jobs.

They said they would, they did not, as I was not satisfied with the second fitting I cancelled the subsequent jobs.

My observations to the OP is that satisfaction with fitting is as important as the product to the customer, so follow up and feedback are crucial.

What happens if the fitter is a rubbish carpenter and makes a mess of your door?

1 hour ago, truman said:

What happens if the fitter is a rubbish carpenter and makes a mess of your door?

I would expect that they would be a highly skilled and qualified screwdriver operator and they would remove the screws from the hinges and leave undamaged for the door hanger as done by the first fitter.

The second fitter might also have noticed the door leaning against wall in the first room done.

Jamming the carpet under the door could have caused damage to the carpet and the door and surely taken more time to complete the fitting.