'winning scratchcard' dispute

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I think that you are missing the point.

Nobody is arguing that the ticket is valid, it clealy isn't. But to prosecute the dude for fraud, a court has to be shown evidence that he deliberately tampered with the ticket. If he says, "Oh, yes I caught my toddler and her sister messing about with the ticket and that is probably how it was defaced", a prosecution would have to prove that that either hadn't happened or was very, very unlikely. This would be heard in a magistrates' court where the onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the guy had deliberately altered the ticket with the express intention of making a false claim. Short of a confession, there is no way the CPS would ever deem this case as reaching the evidential threshold for prosecution.

It's irrelevant how it was "defaced".  It wasn't a winning card and he tried to claim a prize for it.  A toddler didn't make him do it, neither did a bigger boy.  If he knew that it wasn't a winning card and attempted to claim, that's the criminal act.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's irrelevant how it was "defaced".  It wasn't a winning card and he tried to claim a prize for it.  A toddler didn't make him do it, neither did a bigger boy.  If he knew that it wasn't a winning card and attempted to claim, that's the criminal act.

And unless he confesses to it, how do you propose that is proved in a court of law?

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

And unless he confesses to it, how do you propose that is proved in a court of law?

'The Star' article kind of suggests he was trying it on.  Not as good as a confession, but fairly clear evidence of attempted fraud, although I don't think Camelot will bother to chase it up.

From reports of previous times people have tried it on, Camelot said:

"However, if we believe that somebody has intentionally attempted to defraud the National Lottery, then, just like any other company, we reserve the right to take whatever action we consider is appropriate."

Shula de Jersey, a criminal lawyer at firm Slater and Gordon, said an intentional attempt to make a fake claim could be deemed "fraud by false representation", a criminal offence under section two of the Fraud Act.

The extent to which it could be deemed an offence or prosecuted would depend partly on the extent to which an individual went to fake a claim - for example by falsifying a ticket - she said.

Edited by alchresearch

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

'The Star' article kind of suggests he was trying it on.  Not as good as a confession, but fairly clear evidence of attempted fraud, 

Are you seriously suggesting that an article in a local rag is 'fairly clear evidence'?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Are you seriously suggesting that an article in a local rag is 'fairly clear evidence'?

If what was reported in that article was even near accurate, and the guy said what he reportedly did, then yes.

I think the best line "I don't have the skills to fake a scratchcard, you'd have to be some sort of expert to pull that off."  Exactly you havent pulled it off thats the problem. You've drawn a very bad line.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-200-000-lottery-win-faker-reveals-spell-in-prison-for-handling-stolen-goods-1-9496364?fbclid=IwAR2-DriuP2xS5ZKYATJLxccer7muPgEvYfjk_cOxU-C0RHB4uHNVzgFX08Q

The guy in question has got to be a total fool......... doesn't he think that the lottery has all the winning codes to all of the winners that are for sale up and down the country......

The both of them are chances who have not thought it through I read the police are now involved to investigate if that's the case they will have to hand over the evidence to the police so they can investigate the matter further.....

It beggars belief there are children that have these bought for them by their parents and not any of them have tried this like I said they both have to be fools......

1 hour ago, woodmally said:

Even if it was a legitimate misprint it doesn't explain why he scratched off F5. 

Also he scratched off 18 co-ordinates not 16 as the game rules state so would that not void the card anyway? 

I think he's uncover 2 of the 3 required symbols and caught the E5 square whilst scratching off F5, realised it's symbol number 3 and altered (badly) the card. 

He can scratch off as many co-ordinates as he wants or none at all.  You only have to scratch off the security number, hand it to a retailer that sells scratchcards and they know whether it's a winner or not

There's a silver lining to all this. Now that he's stopped using Scamelot, he's a hundred odd quid a week better off.