4.1 million working poor in britain

This country is going the way of the U.S - where a high percentage of the impoverished are NOT unemployed.

The people of France are enduring hard times and this country is not far behind.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/04/four-million-british-workers-live-in-poverty-charity-says

I'd like to know what size of 'household' we're talking about.   60% of the median would equate to around £12k after housing costs.  That could be adequate for a very small household, one or perhaps two persons, but not for several.

I would like to see a real breakdown of the make up of households and how the income is made up.  Surely where two adults are working full time, even on relatively low hourly wages,  they are less likely to experience poverty than a single parent with several children who might be included as a 'working household' but only working a few hours a week. 

Yawn.  Another Guardian filler article based on a load of meaningless cherry picked statistics.  

As for their "source"....   Oh yes,. Good old Joseph Roundtree Foundation and their well criticised warped definitions of "poverty" 🙄

Edited by ECCOnoob

Yep, and the Rowntree figures were heavily criticised.

Their current definition is below, and according to that I'm pretty close to being in poverty.  When in realty I'm nothing like.

What is poverty?

The definition used by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation is that a family is in poverty if they have an income of less than 60% of median income for their family type, after housing costs.

In other words, they are significantly poorer than most other similar families.

Here are the weekly incomes which count as being in poverty:

Family type Weekly income
Couple with no children £255
Single with no children £148
Couple with two children aged five and 14 £413
Single with two children aged five and 14 £306

Note that this includes all the family income, including wages, benefits and any other source of income.

And it refers to the money left over after any tax is paid, including council tax, as well as contributions to pension schemes, student loan payments and all housing costs.

Edited by alchresearch

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/definition-poverty

You'd think that this would actually detail what they consider poverty to be, but it doesn't, not in a concrete, explicit form.

37 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Yep, and the Rowntree figures were heavily criticised.

Their current definition is below, and according to that I'm pretty close to being in poverty.  When in realty I'm nothing like.

What is poverty?

The definition used by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation is that a family is in poverty if they have an income of less than 60% of median income for their family type, after housing costs.

In other words, they are significantly poorer than most other similar families.

Here are the weekly incomes which count as being in poverty:

Family type Weekly income
Couple with no children £255
Single with no children £148
Couple with two children aged five and 14 £413
Single with two children aged five and 14 £306

Note that this includes all the family income, including wages, benefits and any other source of income.

And it refers to the money left over after any tax is paid, including council tax, as well as contributions to pension schemes, student loan payments and all housing costs.

Where did you find these?

So this is net remaining income after tax and housing costs.  Which leaves all your none tax bills, elec, gas, water, insurance, food, transport and living costs to cover out of those amounts.

So for a single person, no children, £148 or less, to cover the items I just listed, is by the JRF someone in poverty.

I personally can't off the top of my head tell you what the various bills would likely be for someone living alone in a typical property...

Food we can probably estimate more easily.  Transport is very variable, it might be a monthly tram pass at £50, or it might be running a car because work isn't easily accessible without.  How much does running an old car cost though...  Difficult to estimate again I'd say.

Edited by Cyclone

Straight from the source.

The JRF is an independent organisation working for social change to end poverty. 

You don't have to be in rags living in a hovel to be poor.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/uk-poverty-2017

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9539

Edited by petemcewan

They used to include 2 foreign holidays a year in the definition of what was a basic expenditure though...

5 hours ago, MAC33 said:

This country is going the way of the U.S - where a high percentage of the impoverished are NOT unemployed.

The people of France are enduring hard times and this country is not far behind.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/04/four-million-british-workers-live-in-poverty-charity-says

Not like you to post a link from the ZOG controlled MSM, written for the consumption of the sheeple. Are you losing your faith in all things wingnut?

Fullfact and gov.uk define Poverty as 60% of the median disposable salary.

According to ONS , UK median household take-home income is listed as £27,300

eg you would be in 'poverty' on a household take-home income of £16,380 . That's £1365 per month or £315 per week.

23 minutes ago, woodview said:

Fullfact and gov.uk define Poverty as 60% of the median disposable salary.

According to ONS , UK median household take-home income is listed as £27,300

eg you would be in 'poverty' on a household take-home income of £16,380 . That's £1365 per month or £315 per week.

That's a hugely broad brush though.

A household with 2 adults and 4 children on that income living in London is very different to a single person living in Liverpool on the same income isn't it.

Just now, Cyclone said:

That's a hugely broad brush though.

A household with 2 adults and 4 children on that income living in London is very different to a single person living in Liverpool on the same income isn't it.

Yes, but that is the definition. eg Households with less than £16,380 take home income are classified as being in poverty. Poverty is a terrible problem, I think the definition of it in those terms does a dis-service to those who are actually in poverty.