Iphone 5s locked

wonder if anyone can help iv just been gifted a iphone 5s by my son who just upgraded, so basically saturday hes "reset factory settings " but forgot to log out of his icloud 1st, so know the whole handset is locked , i understand that this is for security reasons but its very frustrating as we know the icloud password also the screen pin lock number but it wont allow us to enter any of these things , the phone was working fine before he rest it saturday & it seems a shame just to throw it away when iv looked online it says that with the receipt we can go to apple to rectify it (but it was bought second hand) (its not on contract) does anyone know is there anything i can do or anywere i can take it to get back into the phone thank for reading

Why wont it let you enter any? Whats it say? Whats on screen?

You could restore it using iTunes, the on first startup t will ask you to log into icloud to unlock it..

A full factory reset/restore cannot be performed without disabling “find my phone” (which is essentially the icloud lock). Has he just reset the settings to default instead? In which case it should just ask for the iCloud ID and password on start-up.

3 hours ago, Happ said:

A full factory reset/restore cannot be performed without disabling “find my phone” (which is essentially the icloud lock). Has he just reset the settings to default instead? In which case it should just ask for the iCloud ID and password on start-up.

You can do a full restore via iTunes, and it will factory reset it to a fresh phone, but when they try and set it up it will still ask for iCloud login, as I stated above...

first of all thank you & sorry for not replying to you all, so let me explain the phone shows the screen lock  ( wants 4 digit pin) so we enter it but it will not accept that at all , i rang apple technical support & they tried to talk me through doing what ghozer advised via my desk top itunes, 1st problem was updating pc itunes (thats sucessfull) so then appently the phone software needing updating so we downloaded that, apple said once that download was complete we d beable to do what ghozer says & log in ?out of itunes via my pc, all in all x3 phone calls almost 3 hours with them , they ended the call i waited 45 mins for the download & guess what still same screen locked NIGHTMARE

this all started as he went to settings & pressed  factory reset ( it never prompted him to log out of his icloud) , what i do know thoughis his new fone iphone x (isit?? latest 1) anyway he can see on that phone that hes still logged into icloud on that iphone 5s , so could he log out from that fone & would that then open the fone ??

sorry headache i know

Apologies if I'm repeating what's been said... I've not read back.

I recently sold an iPad and I'd heard it can be a pain to reset, so I followed this list:-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

Could your Son log back into everything, then go through the list again to reset things for you?