Local 6 predictions league 2018-2019

Predictions League

Maybe I should start off with a bit of background for the benefit of everyone.

Enrolment

Someone recently asked about enrolment. There is no enrolment process – just submit your predictions and you will automatically be added to the system provided that your submission falls within the guidelines outlined below.

Prediction banners

Predictions are buried within a pool of text that includes the post number, member name, quotes (where present), and a plethora of miscellaneous items, some visible and some hidden. It became something of a nightmare to identify precisely where a posters text started and ended. In some cases, there are no predictions i.e. where a poster poses a question and this adds to the problem. To get around this, I decided to introduce ‘banners’ to clearly indicate 

a) that the post contains predictions and 

b) where predictions start and finish

The banners are “Predictions:” and Predictions end:” (minus the quotes). It is imperative that all predictions are contained within these banners otherwise my system will assume that the post does not contain any predictions.

Example:

Predictions:

Team A n:n Team B

Team C n:n Team D

Team E n:n Team F

Team G n:n Team H

Team I n:n Team J

Team K n:n Team L

Predictions end:

Submission of predictions

All predictions must be submitted before kick-off. 

Processing

Predictions are extracted by computer process and recorded in an Excel spreadsheet. 

I provide 2 templates for use: choose either template but always include the banners. It is strongly recommended that you copy and paste from either template as this minimises the risk of introducing non-displayable characters that may prevent your predictions from being processed. Please do not enter anything other than your predictions between the banners – ie no comments as these tend to confuse the resolution of team names.

Caveats and Gotchas

1.    During testing, one competitor submitted predictions that had been copied and pasted from another competitor’s submission. This resulted in the predictions being bypassed as invalid characters were introduced within the ending banner. Given the numerous flavours of Mac/PC browsers plus the multiplicity of smartphone platforms, it seems that the chance of corruption between systems is considerable. Please always copy and paste from my templates as this minimises the risk of introducing errors. If problems are encountered and these are not considered to be of your own making, I will manually enter your predictions until a software solution is achieved. I can’t be any fairer than that.

2.    Beware quoting another competitors predictions before your own! If you do and the quoted predictions are valid, the system will accept them as your predictions !!

3.    If you really cannot resist the temptation to substitute the supplied “system” team names with your own nicknames, or opt not to use the supplied templates, that’s up to you but if problems ensue, you’ve just wasted a prediction. It really is much simpler (and safer) to copy and paste from the templates provided. I spent quite a lot of time last season correcting competitors’ predictions. Please bear in mind that with the greatest of respect, they are yourpredictions to get right, not mine to put right.

Finally, the Local 6 Predictions League was invented by our friend, Southey Owl. I took it over as Mick needed to devote his time to sporting activities at National and International levels in which he has had great success. You may not agree with the way that the league is currently run and the constraints imposed as described above. In mitigation, all I can say is that I have invested a great deal of time and effort for your enjoyment and the feedback I received last season makes the effort worthwhile. Enjoy and treat this as a bit of fun.

1 minute ago, SgtDave said:

Predictions League

Maybe I should start off with a bit of background for the benefit of everyone.

Enrolment

Someone recently asked about enrolment. There is no enrolment process – just submit your predictions and you will automatically be added to the system provided that your submission falls within the guidelines outlined below.

Prediction banners

Predictions are buried within a pool of text that includes the post number, member name, quotes (where present), and a plethora of miscellaneous items, some visible and some hidden. It became something of a nightmare to identify precisely where a posters text started and ended. In some cases, there are no predictions i.e. where a poster poses a question and this adds to the problem. To get around this, I decided to introduce ‘banners’ to clearly indicate 

a) that the post contains predictions and 

b) where predictions start and finish

The banners are “Predictions:” and Predictions end:” (minus the quotes). It is imperative that all predictions are contained within these banners otherwise my system will assume that the post does not contain any predictions.

Example:

Predictions:

Team A n:n Team B

Team C n:n Team D

Team E n:n Team F

Team G n:n Team H

Team I n:n Team J

Team K n:n Team L

Predictions end:

Submission of predictions

All predictions must be submitted before kick-off. 

Processing

Predictions are extracted by computer process and recorded in an Excel spreadsheet. 

I provide 2 templates for use: choose either template but always include the banners. It is strongly recommended that you copy and paste from either template as this minimises the risk of introducing non-displayable characters that may prevent your predictions from being processed. Please do not enter anything other than your predictions between the banners – ie no comments as these tend to confuse the resolution of team names.

Caveats and Gotchas

1.    During testing, one competitor submitted predictions that had been copied and pasted from another competitor’s submission. This resulted in the predictions being bypassed as invalid characters were introduced within the ending banner. Given the numerous flavours of Mac/PC browsers plus the multiplicity of smartphone platforms, it seems that the chance of corruption between systems is considerable. Please always copy and paste from my templates as this minimises the risk of introducing errors. If problems are encountered and these are not considered to be of your own making, I will manually enter your predictions until a software solution is achieved. I can’t be any fairer than that.

2.    Beware quoting another competitors predictions before your own! If you do and the quoted predictions are valid, the system will accept them as your predictions !!

3.    If you really cannot resist the temptation to substitute the supplied “system” team names with your own nicknames, or opt not to use the supplied templates, that’s up to you but if problems ensue, you’ve just wasted a prediction. It really is much simpler (and safer) to copy and paste from the templates provided. I spent quite a lot of time last season correcting competitors’ predictions. Please bear in mind that with the greatest of respect, they are yourpredictions to get right, not mine to put right.

Finally, the Local 6 Predictions League was invented by our friend, Southey Owl. I took it over as Mick needed to devote his time to sporting activities at National and International levels in which he has had great success. You may not agree with the way that the league is currently run and the constraints imposed as described above. In mitigation, all I can say is that I have invested a great deal of time and effort for your enjoyment and the feedback I received last season makes the effort worthwhile. Enjoy and treat this as a bit of fun.

Thankyou Dave, thanks for that the info, understood, now let battle commence.

Predictions for matches played 14th/15th December 2018

Please copy and paste from either format

Predictions:

QPR n:n Middlesbrough

Sheff Utd n:n West Brom

Rotherham n:n Reading

Swansea City n:n Sheff Wed

Doncaster n:n Scunthorpe

Barnsley n:n Portsmouth

Predictions end:

Predictions:

QPR n Middlesbrough n

Sheff Utd n West Brom n

Rotherham n Reading n

Swansea City n Sheff Wed n

Doncaster n Scunthorpe n

Barnsley n Portsmouth n

Predictions end:

Edited by Guest
re-copied from later down so people don't get confused

Predictions:

QPR 1 Middlesbrough 2

Sheff Utd 2 West Brom 0

Rotherham 0 Reading 1

Swansea City 1 Sheff Wed 2

Doncaster 1 Scunthorpe 1

Barnsley 1 Portsmouth 2

Predictions end:

Edited by Groose

Predictions:

QPR 1:1 Midlesbrough

Sheff Utd 1:2 West Brom

Rotherham 2:0 Reading

Swansea City 3:1 Sheff Wed

Doncaster 2:0 Scunthorpe

Barnsley 0:1 Portsmouth

Predictions end:

Edited by ALAN 58

Predictions:

QPR 1:0 Midlesbrough

Sheff Utd 2:2 West Brom

Rotherham 2:1 Reading

Swansea City 3:1 Sheff Wed

Doncaster 2:1 Scunthorpe

Barnsley 2:1 Portsmouth

Predictions end:

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, Groose said:

Groose, you've left out the Barnsley match. 

Edited by Jim Hardie

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Groose, you've left out the Barnsley match. 

Cause Dave's second batch of it doesn't have it lol

QPR 1:2  Middlesbrough

Sheff Utd 1:1 West Brom

Rotherham 1:0 Reading

Swansea City 1:0 Sheff Wed

Doncaster 2:0 Scunthorpe

Barnsley 1:1 Portsmouth

Edited by Mooks

Hi Mooks, you need to edit your predictions,  Putting  the word Predictions at the topand Predictions end at the bottom of your post otherwise it is not reconised by the programme. Good luck pal. 

Predictions:

QPR 0:2 Middlesbrough

Sheff Utd 1:1 West Brom

Rotherham 1:0 Reading

Swansea City 1:0 Sheff Wed

Doncaster 2:0 Scunthorpe

Barnsley 1:1 Portsmouth

Predictions end:

Predictions:

QPR 1 Middlesbrough 2

Sheff Utd 2 West Brom 2

Rotherham 3 Reading 1