Oakbrook road

Anyone remember the shops on Oakbrook Road and Hangingwater Road in the 1950s.I lived opposite the Post Office then so remember that well,on the same side of the road ,next one up was a barbers shop then I think a butchers,two or more shops then a sweet shop,the sweet shop owner had a slight speech defect causing him to talk very quietly,we nicknamed him Whisperin Arry,cruel little beggars,no wonder he wouldnt sell us five Park Drive when we were 14.

Remember the chippie on Hangingwater as well funny how lots of the shop owners were called Arry...we used to call him greasy Arry,nice chips though and not at all greasy.

And the Co-op on the corner with those overhead  money containers that seemed to wizz around before, presumably, ending in a cash office.

Remember the  barbers...had my first haircut there and screamed like mad particularly as blood was shed!

Was  the off licence opposite the Co-op called Swanns?

20 hours ago, Morts said:

And the Co-op on the corner with those overhead  money containers that seemed to wizz around before, presumably, ending in a cash office.

Remember the  barbers...had my first haircut there and screamed like mad particularly as blood was shed!

Was  the off licence opposite the Co-op called Swanns?

Yes, the barbers,had to sit on a plank across the arms of the chair to get me high enough when I was young.

The Co-op was brilliant,they used to have something called Divi or Dividend? where you collected stamps or something like that and then got money knocked off the bill when you,d collected enough points,next door I think was Co-op butchers,then Cobblers shop,dress shop run by school friends Mum,Beestons newsagents and fancy goods.Right down at the bottom of Oakbrook there was another sweet shop where I remember getting the first sweets off ration after the war.

What with Davy,s grocers on Hangingwater Road, and the Little hardware shop at the bottom of Armthorpe Road the area was pretty well blessed with various shops.

Remember when it had snowed we used to sledge down Armthorpe Road,in the days when few people had cars.   

I remember sledging down Armthorpe Rd, when it was really frozen you could cross Hangingwater and down Fulney Rd.

As for shops in the mis 60s to mid 70s there was also Pagdins grocers on the corner of Armthorpe and Hangingwater rd also the chip shop a butchers and a bakers who baked on the premises. 

At the bottom Oakbrook shops was Watchhorns newsagent, Woodhouses general store, Thornes chemist and a fruit shop. 

In the top shops at the Oakbrook / Hangingwater Junction  was Ushers sweet shop, Bush the grocer, the barber, the post office a cobblers, Swansons grocery store a fish mongers, a fruit shop a butchers, 2 hardware shops one on each side of the road a news agent and a wool shop and the co-op. I'm sure I have missed a couple. I worked at both Swansons and the co-op. 

Edited by scargill