Diesel price hike !!

Wow ! Charley Freemans, that's a blast from the past !

4 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Wow ! Charley Freemans, that's a blast from the past !

Not arf  :D the one at Eckington,i also bought a couple of bikes from him ...me and my mate went to the Reliant factory at Tamworth long long ago and brought a couple back for him,he gave us a fiver each,at the time my mate worked for him at the Sheffield branch Charlies brother Harry ran that one,in fact it was my mate who fetched my new Reliant from the factory,a proper "Del-Boy" one in brown :cool:  

37 minutes ago, euclid said:

Not arf  :D the one at Eckington,i also bought a couple of bikes from him ...me and my mate went to the Reliant factory at Tamworth long long ago and brought a couple back for him,he gave us a fiver each,at the time my mate worked for him at the Sheffield branch Charlies brother Harry ran that one,in fact it was my mate who fetched my new Reliant from the factory,a proper "Del-Boy" one in brown :cool:  

👍😉

On 12/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, euclid said:

Bygum Tup you've started summat here.... (but at least it is back to what the thread was about),... you are exactly right....I bought a Diesel LWB Frontera in 1991/2 ...and at the time diesel was around 50p a litre cheaper than petrol and this was about as wide as the gap got,my last diesel was a Mercedes E-Class which i sold about  10 years ago and diesel had started to become more expensive   (@ 10p a litre even then)...it was also £230   year Road Tax...... I am now on my 3rd Hybrid   £0..Road Tax...Still no matter how much we moan and gripe the powers that be will do exactly what they want......So sad tho' that it  brought a lot of nasty and uncalled for attacks/replies on other forum users.......drive safe...😄😄 

In 1992 I was at Uni and I had my first bike... it was 45.9p a litre to fill that up as I had a fiver a week left over from my grant and the tank was ten litres which worked out nice.... Petrol was never that much more than diesel even then and even in gallons it wasnt 50p a gallon more.

Edited by Obelix

24 minutes ago, Obelix said:

In 1992 I was at Uni and I had my first bike... it was 45.9p a litre to fill that up as I had a fiver a week left over from my grant and the tank was ten litres which worked out nice.... Petrol was never that much more than diesel even then and even in gallons it wasnt 50p a gallon more.

You're quite right. 

This PDF (link below) from the AA shows average yearly price per gallon. Nowhere near 50p difference. 

Petrol/Diesel avg price 1903-2005

The only way it'd be near 50p different is if he was using red diesel vs pump petrol. 

Edited by Resident

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

Fair comment,but i wouldn't have thought you would be even interested in the price of diesel then.....although around the time, " Makro" had  a petrol station where the car park is now,as I had a card I would go from where I live to there to fill up as it was a lot cheaper than local fuel,for some reason i did tend to think it was 50p cheaper :confused: ,also, don't forget at that time petrol would have probably ranged  from 2 star to 5 star,"low to high octane which is more expensive" now also known as "super unleaded" there would have been no unleaded lowest being 2 star which would make your motor "pink" if it wasn't set up for it.... maybe I was/am wrong....i put it down to old age :)  BUT, I would still agree with what old tup said..!.I have had several diesel cars since 1987 at which time diesel was 37pence a gallon cheaper than petrol,how do they get away with it?,rip off Britain again in my opinion! Just to add I had my first bike (Triumph Tiger Cub) in 1964 and petrol then was around 6 shillings a gallon...I think  8)8)

1 hour ago, Resident said:

You're quite right. 

This PDF (link below) from the AA shows average yearly price per gallon. Nowhere near 50p difference. 

Petrol/Diesel avg price 1903-2005

The only way it'd be near 50p different is if he was using red diesel vs pump petrol. 

Again fair comment but a lot will also depend on which part of the country it is based on and the octane rating (high/low5 star-2 star) as I said above maybe I was/am wrong and I hold my hands up BUT, I still agree with "old tup".....I would have never used "cherry" even tho' it was always widely available if you wanted it.I worked with a fella long ago who had a diesel Merc,he would reverse up to the diesel bowser every night and fill it up,told me he had been doing this for over twenty years and if he got caught he would still have saved a fortune....drive safe

To be clear I said the difference in 1987 was 37 pence a gallon cheaper and today 2018 it is 50pence a gallon dearer,I think that's correct but I,m sure I will be put right one way or another!.

On 12/24/2018 at 5:55 PM, euclid said:

Fair comment,but i wouldn't have thought you would be even interested in the price of diesel then

Why wouldn't I have been? Student finance were fairly tight, but regardless of that one of my projects involved analysing pump fuels from many filling stations so I remember the pricing quite well I filled out enough blooming expense sheets for it all..