Advice about trees

I

I live in my own property. Next door is a council house. The problem is they have large trees which are more suitable to a forest  than a council house back garden the trees are so large that it stops sunlight getting through to my garden also affecting my sky signal. The lady next door has refused to do anything about it and the council say I have no right to light and they won't get involved in sky signal problems. Any advice?

9 hours ago, Pkingy said:

I

I live in my own property. Next door is a council house. The problem is they have large trees which are more suitable to a forest  than a council house back garden the trees are so large that it stops sunlight getting through to my garden also affecting my sky signal. The lady next door has refused to do anything about it and the council say I have no right to light and they won't get involved in sky signal problems. Any advice?

Ask the lady if you can ring bark the tree

She won't let me set foot in her garden

The only legal thing you can do is cut all the overhanging branches . The council do not bother about trees in gardens until they fall down, then its an insurance claim for the damage.

t

3 hours ago, lottiecass said:

The only legal thing you can do is cut all the overhanging branches . The council do not bother about trees in gardens until they fall down, then its an insurance claim for the damage.

thanks for the advice but trees don't reach into my garden, But in full leaf they create complete shade to my garden and I can not get a sky signal. meanwhile they are  getting sky signal but because of their trees I cannot this can't be right or fair

Sell the house and move somewhere with no trees were you will get sunlight 

Large trees near houses can sometimes cause structural problems, especially oak and conifers on clay soils.  If you suspect they are causing actual damage such as cracking walls or blocked drains you will have a reason to get the council to investigate.  See https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=225

9 hours ago, ttparsons said:

Large trees near houses can sometimes cause structural problems, especially oak and conifers on clay soils.  If you suspect they are causing actual damage such as cracking walls or blocked drains you will have a reason to get the council to investigate.  See https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=225

Removing large trees can also cause structural damage due to heave. It really depends on the type of soil you have. 

No. bought this house over 25yrs ago. trees can get awfull big in 25yrs

Maybe if you were on better terms with your neighbour you could pay a tree surgeon to cut it to a more reasonable size.

Granted you'd prefer they did it instead but clearly that ain't gunna happen.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Pkingy said:

I

you can if the neighbour and council agree offer to pay to have the tree pollarded by one of the councils contractors ( they usually for for 3 quotes )  speak to the tree section in the council the housing side will only pass your details on to them they can at least visit and say what you can offer to do. but the first thing is to get permission from the neighbour as she may like the tree