My epl rant

I’ve been gettiing up at 2am to watch the EPL live, last week was Man City v Bournemouth. I know they are top of the league, I know they haven’t lost yet, I know they’ll probably win the title but honestly, I hate their style of play, I think it’s abysmal to watch and I blame Guardiola. He wrecked Barcelona, he nearly wrecked Bayern but they got wise and moved him on and now he’s wrecking Man City. The crowds love the results and will keep turning up while ever they are winning but watching them is like watching a computer game that is programmed so it can’t lose. Football is losing the skills that made the game exciting: running at and beating defenders, crossing the ball into the penalty area, the bullet headers. Everything is sliderule now, nothing left to chance and when VAR is introduced that will be the death knell. The cameraman picked out Mike Summerbee in the crowd, to me, his face said it all: ‘This is not the game we played’. And he was a member of the greatest Man City team ever.

Sorry downsunder, totally disagree , I find there football utterly breathtaking, nobody can compete with them, can see them going the full season unbeaten.. love watching them.

It's very like indoor soccer as its played 99 percent on the floor.

Lots of short passing,giving the player in possession lots and lots of options.

Defensively - I love watching the very high press.

As for winning the league - not so sure - Liverpool play nearly identically with similar quality.

Both teams are capable  of finishing with 100 points plus!

Watching the Man.Utd v Fulham first half - what a pathetic game to watch,totally one sided.

Not a good advert for the EPL - very uncompetitive.

14 hours ago, Padders said:

...can see them going the full season unbeaten...

Never mind. Always next year.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, Downsunder said:

I’ve been gettiing up at 2am to watch the EPL live, last week was Man City v Bournemouth. I know they are top of the league, I know they haven’t lost yet, I know they’ll probably win the title but honestly, I hate their style of play, I think it’s abysmal to watch and I blame Guardiola. He wrecked Barcelona, he nearly wrecked Bayern but they got wise and moved him on and now he’s wrecking Man City. The crowds love the results and will keep turning up while ever they are winning but watching them is like watching a computer game that is programmed so it can’t lose. Football is losing the skills that made the game exciting: running at and beating defenders, crossing the ball into the penalty area, the bullet headers. Everything is sliderule now, nothing left to chance and when VAR is introduced that will be the death knell. The cameraman picked out Mike Summerbee in the crowd, to me, his face said it all: ‘This is not the game we played’. And he was a member of the greatest Man City team ever.

All of that Manchester City side (Summerbee, Young, Doyle etc) were English born, imagine that now, with anybody !

13 hours ago, St Petre said:

All of that Manchester City side (Summerbee, Young, Doyle etc) were English born, imagine that now, with anybody !

Donachie?

Donachie joined Man City in the 70s. St. Petre is referring to the side that won the league in 1968 and the F.A cup the following season. 

In the list I managed to miss (among others) Colin Bell and Francis Lee.

Edited by St Petre
Spell

Corrigan 

Book

Doyle

Booth

Pardoe

Bell

Oakes

Summerbee

Coleman

Lee

Young

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, charliewag said:

Donachie joined Man City in the 70s. St. Petre is referring to the side that won the league in 1968 and the F.A cup the following season. 

Donachie  'joined'  Manchester City in the 60's

Became a professional for Manchester City in December 1968 and a first team player in February 1970.

I'm currently watching the bore fest that is the Man.City v Everton match.

Talk about being ultra negative - Everton are defending 20 yards behind the halfway line!!

This is not the way to play. Way,way too much respect from Everton.

Giving up 60 yards of the pitch every time you lose the ball makes a mockery of the game.

The rules need changed asap.  A new rule with a minimum  of two players in the opponents half at all times. You then change the offside rule which can only apply up to 20 yards from the halfway line.

With only one team interested in playing I am not going to bother with the second half.  Escape to the country is on the other channel.

Edited by MAC33

On 12/12/2018 at 7:56 AM, pintor said:

Corrigan 

Book

Doyle

Booth

Pardoe

Bell

Oakes

Summerbee

Coleman

Lee

Young

That's almost the team that won the league but the goalkeeper was Ken Mulhearn and the centre half was George Heslop. Tommy Booth and Joe Corrigan didn't come until later.

All Englishmen and there's an appearance table in this that shows it was basically the same eleven week in, week out:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967–68_Manchester_City_F.C._season