Make the council do my gas service!

Thanks all. I'm confused. It seems only the landlord can order the service or home owner. I'd not want to start tenants paying either.

It is odd, yes Ms Macbeth. Common I think however, it's unfriendliness and it happens via professions quite alot these days but certainly from public offices seems difficult to arrange until you are the victim. Then I'd use the prior statements again. I've had years to get to this bad but always not a service you'd expect for having paid for it.

Speedy. I can't say what has been done as it is a need to know and I'm certainly not invited.

I think they maybe want to smoke out my key holders and house sitters but really I have not wanted any in this  environment.

There obviously seems to be a back story to this.

However, I assume that you have email or you wouldnt be on here. So how about doing this.

To:  [email protected]

Subject: Gas Safety Check

Dear Ms Sharpe,

I am a council tenant who lives at 22 Sheffield Road, Sheffield S1 and believe that I am due a gas safety check at the above address. Due to a series of recent misunderstandings this hasn't been possible. 

I am anxious to have this check completed as soon as possible and would therefore like you to ask the Housing Manager for my area to contact me as soon as possible to arrange a mutually convenient time and date to to carry out this check.

Yours sincerely,

Haike

Janet Sharpe is the Director of Housing at Sheffield City Council and her secretary will contact the relevant manager with a request that this matter is sorted out. The important thing is that any members/officers enquiry comes with the caveat 'Please advise the Director when this has been done'.

I guarantee that you will hear something within a week simply because if the Director's office does not hear back they will want to know why. Managers rarely ignore requests from their department head.

Thanks tops. That's approximately the letter to the councillor though it is a complaint too because there is no misunderstanding, plain ignorance repeatedly and I am more sure now since no-one here knows of similar themselves.

No background could excuse it. It really is easy to understand that bit.

I thought the Council have a duty of care to inspect the gas instillation's of their tenants on a yearly basis, and to issue a certificate to the tenant that all is as it should be.

Angel1. 

Thanks anglefire. Duty of care would be the place to start with a decent partially legal term.

However that kind of ramps it up a bit now that I think of it. It suggests I have really been making it hard for them to get in.

When I know I have phoned so many times over the years just to facilitate and help numerous failed tasks and vists, literally begged at times I see again why I have publicly proclaimed this as an eviction strategy.

But I am as time permits going to consider the duty of care, how, if I have honoured appointments it must be very serious to blatantly address me contrarily.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:30 AM, haike said:

Thanks Ms Macbeth.

It has gone that far. I have contacted a councillor but fear as would look like from replies here it is difficult to believe they do this, staff at the council.

I am not openly anti-social accused but have been unwelcome and this is the furthest and most obvious route yet to eviction that I can see. I will leave an entirely safe house for my own safety as no-one has found the ability to verify that the workers are lying over the years about non attendance. I need to get them on it now as they are pursuing a coup de grace on behalf of themselves believing they have this right.

Probably a bit boring in there not to be doing this to someone over the years but from infuriating to worthy of criminal attention for me.

the council wouldnt use this as a route to eviction unless you have refused them access they would take legal action to force access to carry this testing out, however it looks as though there is more to this and you have said you have been in their eyes unwelcome/anti-social so that may be an issue they may feel unsafe entering the premises it may also be down to the stae of your property i know some places that have been refused due to various issues ( dog faeces etc) you need to visit your local office and try and work out an arrangment or the excat reason they havent carried out the test

Good points from Narden Dee.

When you phone, or speak to someone in person, follow up with an email confirming what has been agreed.   Emails provide good  evidence that you are cooperating should there be a suggestion that you are not.   Let us know how you get on.

why the big fuss for the gas inspection??is it not working? can you smell gas? do you think its dangerous? how long is it since the last inspection?

7 hours ago, helloitsonly said:

why the big fuss for the gas inspection??is it not working? can you smell gas? do you think its dangerous? how long is it since the last inspection?

errrrr 

Because you cannot smell Carbon Monoxide, and unless you are a Gas Engineer, you'd hardly be aware wether an installation was safe or not.

That is the whole point of the checks.

10 hours ago, Crosser said:

errrrr 

Because you cannot smell Carbon Monoxide, and unless you are a Gas Engineer, you'd hardly be aware wether an installation was safe or not.

That is the whole point of the checks.

That is on the money.

Angel1.

44 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

That is on the money.

Angel1.

i agree but if the last inspection was within 18 months it is unlikely to be a problem?

13 hours ago, helloitsonly said:

i agree but if the last inspection was within 18 months it is unlikely to be a problem?

gas checks should be carried out annualy if you are a landlord