Make the council do my gas service!

When it is not done I will be in a house that is technically unsafe. What is the legal route for this. I have contacted obviously them numerously and this time it seems an internal group are just going to play it out, all their failed supposed vists, then make an official move to, is it evict me?

However, it is not that I want to stay but that I am too poor really to move easily and have not done anything wrong except be universally disliked or considered available for abuse.

The internals seem to believe I am a problem or are a bad bunch. Either way I have a need to go to court I think in some manner. That is so that any unsafe issue like gas safety can be stated as something they could and can and should do, not something I have not done or allowed in my tenancy. What form of action can I take in court to avoid a joke turning my life even more sour. Part of them are safety and part enforcement so they hold all the cards.

I take it its a council property you live in?  Have the council said when they are going to service your gas? I think it used to be once a year when i was a council tennant

Just arrange a suitable date for them to complete the gas service.  It's really not difficult.

Court cases regarding housing issues such as this are usually very brief (under 10 minutes).  The council will have evidence available that they have attempted to complete this work and you haven't been available.  You'll end up with costs to pay as it's almost a certainty you won't "win".

Edited by mike84

Thanks guys.

Its like that but of course I was there as usual for the visit, had the letter, confirmed etc. Yes it's twice but once, whatever they want. This time it's going to be last day and could be missed like the first visit. Yes, an actual council flat.

I'm more interested in getting them to do the vist. They won't ,obviously it it will by common sense appear it is the tenant at fault as why would they not turn up but they don't regularly and this time I really want them too. 

Really, because ... I don't deserve this but am employing lots of people and would rather employ a lawyer to get them to do some real work. Why should I be carried into an illegal occupancy situation.

If there due to come today i would ring them and ask if they can give you a time or if you can contact the people doing the job, that way they have a record that your stayingin to wait for the service to be done, failing that ring every hour asking where they are

The landlord has a legal duty to ensure your gas appliance is safe.  It costs them money to evict a tenant and relet a property. If your rent account is up to date, and you are living in the the property in accordance with your tenancy agreement (no anti social behaviour, your home is in a fit state for workmen to attend), then why do you think the council have an issue with you?

if you feel you are being unfairly treated, contact your local councillor. He/She can find out why the department responsible have not yet done the necessary checks and ensure the work is carried out.

Your last paragraph about employing a lot of people is confusing.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Thanks Ms Macbeth.

It has gone that far. I have contacted a councillor but fear as would look like from replies here it is difficult to believe they do this, staff at the council.

I am not openly anti-social accused but have been unwelcome and this is the furthest and most obvious route yet to eviction that I can see. I will leave an entirely safe house for my own safety as no-one has found the ability to verify that the workers are lying over the years about non attendance. I need to get them on it now as they are pursuing a coup de grace on behalf of themselves believing they have this right.

Probably a bit boring in there not to be doing this to someone over the years but from infuriating to worthy of criminal attention for me.

3 hours ago, haike said:

I am not openly anti-social accused but have been unwelcome and this is the furthest and most obvious route yet to eviction that I can see.

Under current law, it is virtually impossible for the council to evict someone because of antisocial behaviour.

The vast majority of council evictions are for rent arrears.

Well i'm still not sure how to make the gas check happen.

Since I know there is a higj likelihood they will fail to be here and then proceed to ignore how I gave them every possible opportunity but becoming a gas service engineer myself.

So bullying, harrassment. Yet luv can't you have a laugh. Um- I think I need a legal angle since it is a serious business being the wrong side of office and van fulls of related people. What is it to be?

Well I have always been alone in Sheffield anyway for my 15 years of open prison. It is only pain but I try to make good of it and don't think it is right to be treated like this and intend to fall so you can watch if you're capable of nothing else.

Pay for a gas safe service yourself.

If you really think the council are doing this as grounds to evict.

When have they arranged to service your boiler/carry out safety checks? Can Citizens Advice, or your Tenants and Residents' Association (TARA) help you to get the visit confirmed? Can a third party be with you at your property on the day the visit is planned? They would be an independent witness if no engineer turned up.  

I have known of problems getting tenants to give access, I have never known of a local authority not trying to complete all their gas checks.  

Edited by Ms Macbeth

How many times have they attempted to visit and carry out the appointment? Have they stickered your locks? have they started legal proceedings?