Campaigner calls for pogues fairytale in new york lyrics to be edited.

This, on the face of it, seems quite trivial, but its not, its more of the all pervasive political correctness gradually taking hold of the society.

If these idiots want to get their knickers into a twist over song lyrics why don't they have a look at the  rap/hip scene with its bitch this, bitch that, ho this, ho that?  

Edited by Hots on

I know some people object to the erm, bbad words in the third verse, but come on? Banning it? PC gone mad IMO.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:24 PM, Hots on said:

This, on the face of it, seems quite trivial, but its not, its more of the all pervasive political correctness gradually taking hold of the society.

If these idiots want to get their knickers into a twist over song lyrics why don't they have a look at the  rap/hip scene with its bitch this, bitch that, ho this, ho that?  

8 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

I know some people object to the erm, bbad words in the third verse, but come on? Banning it? PC gone mad IMO.

sigh theres no pc gone mad conspiracy, as has been pointed out, 2 people decided in their eyes it needs changing, that doesnt mean theres a wider conspiracy against it, its 2 peoples opinion, and as usual those on the right turn into snowflakes on the issue :roll:

On 12/7/2018 at 1:24 PM, Hots on said:

And of course we never had these sort of people "back in the day" did we ?  *cough* Mary Whitehouse *cough*

It's just a couple of people after their 15 minutes of fame and it appears they've got them.

Edited by whiteowl
typo

Maybe The Pogues should simply revert to their original name in translation.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:49 PM, Michael_W said:

The sad reality is society seems to pander to this sort of nonsense all the time.

You have a cross section of society right here, right and left, young and old, nobody agrees with the song being somehow modified...

On 12/7/2018 at 9:27 AM, despritdan said:

We seem to be breeding a generation of dour, self-righteous snowflakes who want to re-write history by having a purge on every song, film, book and TV series that doesn't conform to the rigid demands of the current zeitgeist of political correctness. Last week it was 'Baby It's Cold Outside' that they wanted to ban and this week it's 'Fairy-tale in New York'. Next week it'll be 'Under My Thumb' by the Rolling Stones then 'The Only Thing that Looks Good' by Bryan Adams. Next, there'll be a huge bonfire of all the James Bond books and then they'll call for the Carry On films to be banned. There never will be an end to it.

Exaggerate much?

Amusingly you use snowflake as a pejorative for people that are easily offended, whilst apparently being easily offended by that group of people...  Ironic.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:13 AM, Michael_W said:

Yes really, what's so difficult to understand ?

Society does pander to that sort of nonsense, we have people like that jumping on this sort of thing all the time, some of it causes enough outrage for the thought police, the media and the bandwagon jumpers, who sometimes put together petitions or bring it to the attention of their MP's to trigger laws to be changed, are you going to refute that sort of thing doesn't happen ?

Perhaps you can give some concrete examples of laws being changed in order to ban offensive songs or nursery rhymes?

53 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

Maybe The Pogues should simply revert to their original name in translation.

POGUE MAHONE

3 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

Language Mel!

i know, i was gonna put what it means but thought i'd be a good boy LOL

Most radio stations play an edited version anyway.
I was in the car yesterday, Absolute Radio played this version...

'Youre an old *blank* on junk'
You scumbag you maggot, youre cheap and youre haggard'!

Edited by nikki-red

For anyone interested there's a programme about the song on BBC 4 tomorrow night at 11-30pm. 

The Story of  Fairytale of New York-the making of the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's Christmas song. 

Speaking of Xmas songs, I caught shakin Stevens Merry Christmas everyone. Solid enough Christmas fare but the video is creepy as ****.