Campaigner calls for pogues fairytale in new york lyrics to be edited.

28 minutes ago, Polecat27 said:

I agree. It is of its time and should be accepted as such. You can still play it, but contextualise the language that wouldn’t be used today.

There are millions of more offensive songs, but maybe the fact that this is such a famous song makes it a bit different.

A very offensive sanitised version of this song was covered by Ronan Keating .

Give me the original every time.

Pat Boone used to have a good career covering some of the raunchy originals.

They were awful as well

Edited by RJRB

Do not, repeat, do not mess about with this song. Its a classic.

That said one of the replacement phrases I heard instead of "cheap lousy faggot" was "you taped over taggert" which made me laugh.

The sad reality is society seems to pander to this sort of nonsense all the time.

2 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

The sad reality is society seems to pander to this sort of nonsense all the time.

Really?

Someone writing in a student news paper and a DJ who nobody has heard of make a statement about a song written over twenty years ago, then a news paper looking for a non Brexit story reports it. A few people on an internet forum discuss if for six hours then it is forgotten about.

That is hardly society pandering to it! :rolleyes:

We seem to be breeding a generation of dour, self-righteous snowflakes who want to re-write history by having a purge on every song, film, book and TV series that doesn't conform to the rigid demands of the current zeitgeist of political correctness. Last week it was 'Baby It's Cold Outside' that they wanted to ban and this week it's 'Fairy-tale in New York'. Next week it'll be 'Under My Thumb' by the Rolling Stones then 'The Only Thing that Looks Good' by Bryan Adams. Next, there'll be a huge bonfire of all the James Bond books and then they'll call for the Carry On films to be banned. There never will be an end to it.

11 hours ago, RJRB said:

A very offensive sanitised version of this song was covered by Ronan Keating .

Here is the travesty:

I would refer the snowflake moaning about it to the original name of the band.

The word is obviously just used because what else rhymes with maggot??

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

Someone writing in a student news paper and a DJ who nobody has heard of make a statement about a song written over twenty years ago, then a news paper looking for a non Brexit story reports it. A few people on an internet forum discuss if for six hours then it is forgotten about.

That is hardly society pandering to it! :rolleyes:

Yes really, what's so difficult to understand ?

Society does pander to that sort of nonsense, we have people like that jumping on this sort of thing all the time, some of it causes enough outrage for the thought police, the media and the bandwagon jumpers, who sometimes put together petitions or bring it to the attention of their MP's to trigger laws to be changed, are you going to refute that sort of thing doesn't happen ?

Perhaps a campaign needs to be created to get any art form older than say 20 years banned and destroyed just on the off chance that something that was perfectly acceptable at the time might now offend the over-sensitive feelings of the modern PC snowflake generation.  We might at last then get rid of the Chicken Song :)

I  didn't understand the lyrics until I heard this Michael McIntyre version. 

3 hours ago, despritdan said:

We seem to be breeding a generation of dour, self-righteous snowflakes who want to re-write history by having a purge on every song, film, book and TV series that doesn't conform to the rigid demands of the current zeitgeist of political correctness. Last week it was 'Baby It's Cold Outside' that they wanted to ban and this week it's 'Fairy-tale in New York'. Next week it'll be 'Under My Thumb' by the Rolling Stones then 'The Only Thing that Looks Good' by Bryan Adams. Next, there'll be a huge bonfire of all the James Bond books and then they'll call for the Carry On films to be banned. There never will be an end to it.

The lyric was controversial when it was released:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairytale_of_New_York#Lyrical_controversy