Campaigner calls for pogues fairytale in new york lyrics to be edited.

I saw someone had posted about a song being banned the other day,  well now there are people calling for words in Fairytale in New York to be edited out. Apparently  party-goers should be barred from singing the line "you cheap lousy faggot" from the 1987 hit for being a "homophobic slur." 

Thomas Haynes wrote an article for student website 'The Tab' in which he claims the lyric from the festive classic is as bad as using the N-word.

Where is it all going to end?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/campaigners-want-pogues-fairytale-new-13696651

Edited by iansheff

Maybe he could write his own Christmas song to replace the Pogues??

I guess if you write articles moaning about the Pogues you're probably not the most talented individual to start off with though.

Edited by geared

So would they also want to edit out

"You're an old slut on junk"

for being sexist against women?

23 minutes ago, iansheff said:

I saw someone had posted about a song being banned the other day,  well now there are people calling for words in Fairytale in New York to be edited out. Apparently  party-goers should be barred from singing the line "you cheap lousy faggot" from the 1987 hit for being a "homophobic slur." 

Thomas Haynes wrote an article for student website 'The Tab' in which he claims the lyric from the festive classic is as bad as using the N-word.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/campaigners-want-pogues-fairytale-new-13696651

Hmmm... :huh:

... surely the bigger question to be asked is "Why is a national newspaper reduced to printing the ramblings of a student on a student website?" which claims "...the lyric from the festive classic is as bad as using the N-word".

I think we can only assume that the N-word he was refering to was 'numpty'... :roll:

You can't edit the words of a song as it has already been recorded and given that sadly, the lovely Kirsty McColl is no longer with us is unlikely to be re recorded.

You either play it or you don't play it. 

i agree this lot of political correctness is now get silly,leave the song as it is,its a song for gods sake

Doesn't make sense. In that song, they are using that word as a character reference. It's quite  a common thing in a poetry. For example, "get out of the bed, you drunken, lazy *******", etc.  Nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, croat77 said:

Doesn't make sense. In that song, they are using that word as a character reference.

Reported speech is cannot be homophobic unless the writer intended that.

I'm pretty sure that Jem Finer did not intend the line to be used as an insult.

A lot of people  have a got a lot of time on their hands with apparently nothing better to do.

I seem to recall a while back someone calling for the children`s nursery ryhme "BaBa black sheep" to be banned". Don`t know if it did get banned. Also the story of 3 little pigs was mentioned at some point. 

Best to ignore these sorts. Just trouble makers.

4 hours ago, iansheff said:

Quite simply, Thomas Haynes ,and his ilk , need to get a life. Pathetic. 

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You can't edit the words of a song as it has already been recorded and given that sadly, the lovely Kirsty McColl is no longer with us is unlikely to be re recorded.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Reported speech is cannot be homophobic unless the writer intended that.

I'm pretty sure that Jem Finer did not intend the line to be used as an insult.

Spot on TCH.

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I agree. It is of its time and should be accepted as such. You can still play it, but contextualise the language that wouldn’t be used today.

There are millions of more offensive songs, but maybe the fact that this is such a famous song makes it a bit different.