Consequential loss - car accident

My Partner had a car accident last month , where the other  Driver involved admitted it was there fault  entirely

The Repair to our car was authorised within 1 1/2 hours by her insurance company which was Good

However now the car is back with us  (It took two attempts to get it right!)

I believe surely  ?  that we are entitled  to compensation,  because clearly  to me the car is now devalued

To test the water I took it to a dealer to part exchange  against  another car...….. there reaction  being didn't want it  or would only give a low trade  value as they would have to   "trade it on"

"Her insurance"  say that now the car has been repaired  it had the same value as it had before the accident ..is this a "try on" on there part ?

would welcome comments from anyone who has been in the same position. Thanks!!

8 minutes ago, tuthill said:

My Partner had a car accident last month , where the other  Driver involved admitted it was there fault  entirely

The Repair to our car was authorised within 1 1/2 hours by her insurance company which was Good

However now the car is back with us  (It took two attempts to get it right!)

I believe surely  ?  that we are entitled  to compensation,  because clearly  to me the car is now devalued

To test the water I took it to a dealer to part exchange  against  another car...….. there reaction  being didn't want it  or would only give a low trade  value as they would have to   "trade it on"

"Her insurance"  say that now the car has been repaired  it had the same value as it had before the accident ..is this a "try on" on there part ?

would welcome comments from anyone who has been in the same position. Thanks!!

Unless it was a total-loss claim, you'll have no problems whatsoever.

I was broadsided off the road from a side road going 30mph, removed the front wing and wheel entirely. Car was repaired via insurance.

Didn't make a jot of difference when I came to trade it in, the dealer only asked me to confirm it had never been written off.

Edited by Magilla

If it's repaired properly then why would the car be devalued..? It's in the same state as it  was before the accident..maybe the dealer who gave you a low price was trying it on?

Edited by truman

Just now, truman said:

If it's repaired properly then why would the car be devalued..? It's in the same state is was before the accident..maybe the dealer who gave you a low price was trying it on?

Indeed, I have to say.. at the time I was skeptical after hearing various tales of woe, but in my case I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever.

It looked brand new again.

Hi Thanks...….. I presume it must be registered somewhere as accident damaged, I think I would avoid a car that had been in a crash when I could choose one that hadn't at the same price. 

2 minutes ago, truman said:

If it's repaired properly then why would the car be devalued..? 

I agree, although any vehicle involved in a moving accident, however well repaired, will never be completely the same as the undamaged vehicle due to mechanical stresses on the whole vehicle and the possibility of undiscovered damage which may lead to a future failure.

If there is no DVLA record of the repair I can't see why any trader would even know that a vehicle had been repaired.

3 minutes ago, tuthill said:

Hi Thanks...….. I presume it must be registered somewhere as accident damaged, I think I would avoid a car that had been in a crash when I could choose one that hadn't at the same price. 

Itll only be registered if it's been written off I think..

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

I agree, although any vehicle involved in a moving accident, however well repaired, will never be completely the same as the undamaged vehicle due to mechanical stresses on the whole vehicle and the possibility of undiscovered damage which may lead to a future failure.

If there is no DVLA record of the repair I can't see why any trader would even know that a vehicle had been repaired.

Depends what the "bump" was I suppose...

1 minute ago, tuthill said:

Understood, though how would you find out? The HPI check doesn't give that information.

Anyways, can only give my experience which was that the car was fine, looked fine, drove the same. I had it for a couple more years, no problems. Got pretty much exactly what I thought it was worth when traded in.

All good.

Yea it's only recorded if it's a write-off, otherwise it's just the same as any other car on the road.

Plenty of cars get in a smash and get repaired with no effect on their value.

17 minutes ago, truman said:

Depends what the "bump" was I suppose...

In my brother's case it was a tow bar that failed five years after he had a rear end shunt which he had dealer repaired. He had never towed anything before towing the trailer,  which was well within the weight limits. The dealer (Mercedes) said that it had almost certainly failed because of damage sustained in the previous accident which had only shown up once loaded. Short of X-raying the steel for hairline cracks (or replacing the whole unit) there is very little the workshop could have done other than a visual inspection at the time.

For the past decade, write-offs have been grouped into four categories: A, B, C and D.

These were graded in order of severity, with Category A for irreparable damage and Category D for vehicles that could – potentially – be returned to the road.

The new system substitutes C and D for the new categories of S and N, ranking write-offs as follows:

A - Scrap only

B - Break for parts

S - Structurally damaged but repairable

N - Not structurally damaged, repairable

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-selling-guides/changes-to-insurance-write-off-categories/

1 hour ago, Janus said:

For the past decade, write-offs have been grouped into four categories: A, B, C and D.

These were graded in order of severity, with Category A for irreparable damage and Category D for vehicles that could – potentially – be returned to the road.

The new system substitutes C and D for the new categories of S and N, ranking write-offs as follows:

A - Scrap only

B - Break for parts

S - Structurally damaged but repairable

N - Not structurally damaged, repairable

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-selling-guides/changes-to-insurance-write-off-categories/

They are for cars that the insurance company has written off..not sure that applies in the op's case...although its good to know what changes have been made to the system