Old pickle company in kelham island

I have a colleague whose family once owned a pickle business in Kelham Island. They made picalilli amongst other things. Would anyone know of an old pickle business in Sheffield that is no longer trading? The name may have been waterhouse, although that may not be the name of the company business.

Hi David.  There was a pickled onion factory on wood lane Stannington.  My nan used to work there . I don't think the company exists anymore. But don't know what it was called. 

did Haywards have a factory in sheffield .I remember in the 70s when i had a snack bar in castle market we used to get some women in from a piccalily factory there hands had gone all yellow working there

There was a Cunninghams pickles connected with Sheffield. Queens Road area.

The Kelly's directories I have dated 1951 to 1965 show "S. Waterhouse" as a pickle manufacturer in Russell Street, and the alphabetical section shows that the factory was on the corner of Russell Street and Kelham Street, near to Kelham Island. Here is a link to a scan taken from the classified section of the 1954 directory. https://i.postimg.cc/8PWhMTPX/Pickles.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

5 hours ago, tinytingle said:

did Haywards have a factory in sheffield .I remember in the 70s when i had a snack bar in castle market we used to get some women in from a piccalily factory there hands had gone all yellow working there

I'm sure there was a pickle factory on nursery street

on the corner of Johnson street

8 hours ago, suzyoo said:

I'm sure there was a pickle factory on nursery street

on the corner of Johnson street

On those particular corners were the Holy trinity church and Lawrences razor blade factory.

11 hours ago, Kidorry said:

On those particular corners were the Holy trinity church and Lawrences razor blade factory. Just had a word with my brother and he was told the pickle factory was on Spring street where the new rolling mill of Woodhead components was built, next door to the White Hart pub.

Edited by Kidorry

Waterhouse's works was next to the White Hart but this was actually on Russell Street (a continuation of Spring Street). Here is a scan from the 1954 directory: 001.jpg

and here's a 1950s map:

002.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

On 12/6/2018 at 9:03 PM, EUCLID11 said:

There was a Cunninghams pickles connected with Sheffield. Queens Road area.

It was Fowlers. Cunningham was the brand they owned at the time.