The Millhouses pub

15 hours ago, InigoMontoya said:

The pub is not next to the park, and hadn't submitted any proposals to try and set up outside seating on a part of it.

It's not owned or operated by True North.

That's the Waggon and Horses.

And while I support their application, I understand why FoMP oppose any reduction in the footprint of the park.

If one part of it can be taken, it all can be taken

I dont see it as "being taken"  to me they are installing and maintaining  seating for the benefit of their customers and no doubt other members of the public to enjoy the park.

Edited by Fudbeer

On 14/05/2019 at 20:45, Fudbeer said:

Closed again and looks like they are looking for yet another change of management.

The words extended barge pole spring to mind!

If the people who got it busy a few years ago could still not make it pay then I doubt anyone can.

Probably end up as flats.

https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/3429

Page 4, my numbers break down. They didnt add up ! *They have since halved the rent to 10k , I should consult for anyone thinking of "investing" lol.

Also adjusted their expectation of income by almost 100k

Now....

Typical turnover: £290,000.00 per annum

Average rent: £10,000.00 per annum

Estimated Capital start-up: £7,800.00 (excl VAT)

Then

Potential turnover: £378,000.00 per annum

Introductory Rent: £20,000.00 per annum

Estimated Capital start-up: £25,250.00 (excl VAT)

Edited by jamesogt

10 minutes ago, jamesogt said:

Page 4, my numbers break down. They dont add up ! I should consult for anyone thinking of "investing" lol

I agree.

This made me laugh too " Currently, the customer base is predominantly local who enjoy pub games" .

Would be more accurate to say currently the customer base is pretty much non existent!

1 minute ago, Fudbeer said:

I agree.

This made me laugh too " Currently, the customer base is predominantly local who enjoy pub games" .

Would be more accurate to say currently the customer base is pretty much non existent!

It can never work whilst your 2 big competitors are A, A massive national with a manager and B, A freehold. They will be buying beer at around 80p a pint, you will be buying it at nearer 1.50.

The rent now makes it look vaguely achievable for a family to run. I mean renting a 3 bed house in Millhouses is over 1k a month. Its all the other costs EI add on, and then the time you'd have to work achieve a nominal wage bill. Plus the fact that rent will be "introductory".....

6 minutes ago, jamesogt said:

It can never work whilst your 2 big competitors are A, A massive national with a manager and B, A freehold. They will be buying beer at around 80p a pint, you will be buying it at nearer 1.50.

The rent now makes it look vaguely achievable for a family to run. I mean renting a 3 bed house in Millhouses is over 1k a month. Its all the other costs EI add on, and then the time you'd have to work achieve a nominal wage bill. Plus the fact that rent will be "introductory".....

Yes if I was taking it would have an accountant and a solicitor go over every detail in the terms and conditions so I knew exactly what was needed to make a decent return and not just in the first year!

Think you are right though the accommodation does make it slightly more attractive would probably still run a mile though to many things stacked against you even on a level playing field the fact the Robin Hood and now the Wagon are very well established businesses in the area will make it hard work to gain regular trade.But if as seems likely their terms mean you are having to pay far more for beer then making a consistent profit  becomes almost impossible.    

Proclaiming to be open again, I noticed as I plodded past this morning.

7 minutes ago, jemson said:

Proclaiming to be open again, I noticed as I plodded past this morning.

Yep, Wendy and Mo who used to run the Prince of Wales on Derbyshire Lane have taken it over. Kitchen is open again, not eaten there but when Mo did food up at the Prince it was always nice.

£1.50 a pint?!  it isn't even that cheap in Wetherspoons . 

i think their customer base has been a bit chavvy in the past which didn't help it (tho i guess others would disagree about that) 

Has anyone been in of late? Thinking of having a meet up with some old friends in early December. Also, do they serve good ales?

Guest makapaka
21 hours ago, melv said:

Also, do they serve good ales?

Get ready - unless they sell every conceivable variety of speciality ales suiting every individuals personal preference you are likely to be told it’s useless.

On 08/11/2019 at 15:31, melv said:

Has anyone been in of late? Thinking of having a meet up with some old friends in early December. Also, do they serve good ales?

Went in on Thursday 12th. The place seemed to be ok. Pool table, 2 poker tables and 3 TV's seemed to keep the younger end happy. I can't comment on the food as no one had any, although there was some chuntering about the price of the beer, moonshine and Guinness were £3-90/pint.