The Millhouses pub

On 12/21/2018 at 5:31 PM, Flexo said:

Thanks for the really interesting post, James.

The pub suffers from being next to the park but having no connection to it. There had been a proposal to rent the neighbouring bit of park to the pub. The city would still own the land and get a rental income. The pub would get business in the summer months from people wanting to enjoy a beer garden by the park, including families.

Friends of Millhouses Park fought a successful campaign against this. I wonder whether they will come to regret that.

Is that not still on-going? I went to a meeting about it in the Summer. The proposals looked positive, taking an unused tiny portion of the park, for decent revenue. There was also an offer from True North to put in some accessible play equipment for wheelchair users. However, no one from Friends of Millhouses turned up. To me, it sounded like it would help maintain the high standard of the park as funds become ever tighter.

Notice its all boarded up with metal mesh on windows can't see it opening any time soon.

Noticed that the metal screens had ben removed as I walked past last night.

Maybe re-opening soon?

Edited by Guest

The last I heard was that it's the lads who run the Crown at Heeley who have got it but there was some issue with evicting the old tenant.

Yes you are right all metal gone, odd was not up for long,Also recruitment poster up hope the next people have more luck.

Its been a bit of a White Elephant in recent years.

Edited by Fudbeer

The Millhouses re-opened yesterday. I hope it stays open.........

3 hours ago, SgtDave said:

The Millhouses re-opened yesterday. I hope it stays open.........

Apparently the same people as the Crown at Heeley, same format too with a Pieminister food franchise.

Pub Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheMillhousesSheffield/

Edited by Andy C

Closed again and looks like they are looking for yet another change of management.

The words extended barge pole spring to mind!

If the people who got it busy a few years ago could still not make it pay then I doubt anyone can.

Probably end up as flats.

https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/3429

Edited by Fudbeer
Added link.

I know they had a `come and have a look` for potential managers and response wasn`t great.

On 14/05/2019 at 20:45, Fudbeer said:

Closed again and looks like they are looking for yet another change of management.

The words extended barge pole spring to mind!

If the people who got it busy a few years ago could still not make it pay then I doubt anyone can.

Probably end up as flats.

https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/3429

Depends who the pub company sell it to. It could probably do well as an independently owned free house.

On 21/12/2018 at 17:31, Flexo said:

Thanks for the really interesting post, James.

The pub suffers from being next to the park but having no connection to it. There had been a proposal to rent the neighbouring bit of park to the pub. The city would still own the land and get a rental income. The pub would get business in the summer months from people wanting to enjoy a beer garden by the park, including families.

Friends of Millhouses Park fought a successful campaign against this. I wonder whether they will come to regret that.

The pub is not next to the park, and hadn't submitted any proposals to try and set up outside seating on a part of it.

It's not owned or operated by True North.

That's the Waggon and Horses.

And while I support their application, I understand why FoMP oppose any reduction in the footprint of the park.

If one part of it can be taken, it all can be taken

TN have done a great job on the Waggon imho. Beer is fab and food not far behind either. Would love little beer garden in that unused part of the park.