The Millhouses pub

Was going there this sunday for lunch to celebrate my birthday not sure about it now . Anyone tried the Robin Hood across the road for food recently :)

Was going there this sunday for lunch to celebrate my birthday not sure about it now . Anyone tried the Robin Hood across the road for food recently :)

Standard pub grub in the Robin Hood. Not bad, not fantastic.

I don't really rate it tbh. I've not eaten at the Millhouses since it reopened however I've been in for a drink once or twice and I always thought the food looked really good, and I've actually been waiting for an reason to have a meal there!

The Millhouses is superb , the meals are simply lovely , very good value , staff are friendly , Kaye is back running it all again with a good eye for what people like etc We have eaten there quite a few times recently , I had my birthday meal there , it was very enjoyable

Went to the millhouses on sunday with my family for a meal to celebrate my birthday the food was lovely and the staff were really nice and friendly. Went in again on monday for an evening meal and again it was lovely . :):):)

I heard this place has closed? Hadnt it just been done up? Was great last time I went in the summer.

ANyone know whats going on?

Their Facebook page has announced they are currently closed https://www.facebook.com/TheMillhousesSheffield/

The pub is owned by EI Partnerships (fka Enterprise Inns) and leased out to independent operators subject to a supply tie contract so has changed management a few times in the last few years but the wording on the Facebook post doesn't seem to imply the current tenant leaving but some other problem.

That said EI are advertising the lease as available.. https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/millhouses-sheffield.aspx

Edited by Andy C

Hmmm those particulars havent been updated for a while its had 2 refurbs since the current tenants had it and the pics are old...

The plot thickens tho

Strange they have clearly spent a lot of money on it and thought they had done a good job when I went in.

And gone down the football and free halftime snacks route but to no avail.

On 3/10/2016 at 11:40 PM, Fudbeer said:

Same with the Millhouses.

How much money has been spent on that pub in the last few years?

You have the Robin opposite which is successful has cheap food and drink and is currently having more money spent on it and the Waggon down the road again a big chain with loads of money to spend.

I fear for its future has not really worked for a long time.

3 pubs so close in a not particularly busy suburban area is at leat 1 to many imo.

It doesn't have to be.  It depends what their  offering is, compared to the competition.  The village I grew up in had 13 pubs in just over a 1 mile stretch when I was a kid.  It remained like that for many years before the demise of the pub trade in general.  Each had their own personality.  That's how they survived so long alongside each other.  I suspect the Millhouse's pub's problem is that it doesn't have a "personality" at all?  Nothing that people can identify it with?  I've never heard anyone say, "it's good for...." whatever.  That's quite important when you are in close competition with others - you need to stand for something - you can't just be everything, or you are nothing.

I think the Robin Hood is a dreadful place.  I've been in a couple of times with friends before dining at Milano's.  It is a horrible chain pub with poor drinks and nothing to commend it as far as I can see.  So that one should be easy to compete with.

The Wagon has had a sympathetic makeover in recent years.  I must say, I think they've done a nice job with that - however, it's mainly gone over to being a dining pub and when we had a meal there a few months ago it was pretty poor tbh.  We've no motivation to ever go back there again.  

So, Millhouses pub, the door is wide open actually to establish itself as the best pub in that immediate vicinity.  But it needs to decide what it wants to be - and then do it well - and let everyone know.

Edited by DerbyTup

On 12/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, DerbyTup said:

It doesn't have to be.  It depends what their  offering is, compared to the competition.  The village I grew up in had 13 pubs in just over a 1 mile stretch when I was a kid.  It remained like that for many years before the demise of the pub trade in general.  Each had their own personality.  That's how they survived so long alongside each other.  I suspect the Millhouse's pub's problem is that it doesn't have a "personality" at all?  Nothing that people can identify it with?  I've never heard anyone say, "it's good for...." whatever.  That's quite important when you are in close competition with others - you need to stand for something - you can't just be everything, or you are nothing.

I think the Robin Hood is a dreadful place.  I've been in a couple of times with friends before dining at Milano's.  It is a horrible chain pub with poor drinks and nothing to commend it as far as I can see.  So that one should be easy to compete with.

The Wagon has had a sympathetic makeover in recent years.  I must say, I think they've done a nice job with that - however, it's mainly gone over to being a dining pub and when we had a meal there a few months ago it was pretty poor tbh.  We've no motivation to ever go back there again.  

So, Millhouses pub, the door is wide open actually to establish itself as the best pub in that immediate vicinity.  But it needs to decide what it wants to be - and then do it well - and let everyone know.

Its real issue is being on a lease that is not sustainable. It can't compete on price, the base of any business!

https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/millhouses-sheffield.aspx

They have removed the Rent amount and the "Potential Turnover" as they are usually laughable! But I had already used a while ago.....

Potential turnover: £378,000.00 per annum

Introductory Rent: £20,000.00 per annum

Estimated Capital start-up: £25,250.00 (excl VAT)

Note the word potential! £1600 a month in rent, plus business rates and utilities. And there is a note that they plan to increase it "This pub needs personal investment of time, effort and skills to realise its potential. Our vision for this pub is a business capable of sustaining a rent of £33,000.00 per annum." So they will want almost 3k a month if you start doing well. On a tied lease, so your GP will be circa 50% at best. (Most bars run nearer 80%).

378k is 7.3k a week, well there is not a prayer that business is taking a grand a day. 1000 a day at an average £3.50 a pint 285 drinks a day. I reckon it would do well to do 5k a week in its location. Maybe 260k a year, minus VAT leaves 208k. Half is profit. 104k. minus rent (at the lower rate) and utilities 36k ish leaves 68k. And you haven't paid any staff yet or taken a wage yourself! You can now afford to pay 4 people on NMW.

Sorry but as with a lot of enterprise leases the numbers won't add up.

Look at the Ranmoor also currently available. A pub with a much better reputation in a better area....

https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/ranmoor-inn-sheffield.aspx

Potential turnover: £395,000.00 per annum

Guide Rent: £30,000.00 per annum

Estimated Capital start-up: £14,500.00 (excl VAT)

They also want you to sign up to this (please allow 3 hours for a full read!) Which basically means you run the pub for them and are liable for a myriad of things. If that was the case and it made money it would be part of the managed wing and they would pay you 25k+ to do it. SEction 5 for those that get that far!

https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/Documents/sample-5-year-rpt.pdf

Maintenance Service Charge: £798.00 (Seven Hundred and Ninety Eight Pounds) per annum plus VAT Cellar Cooling Only: £309.00 (Three Hundred and Nine Pounds) per annum plus VAT Heating and Boiler Only: £489.00 (Four Hundred and Eighty Nine Pounds) per annum plus VAT Health and Safety Compliance Service Charge: £1,177.00 (One Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Seven Pounds) per annum plus VAT

5.4 Insurance Rent You must pay Us the cost that We spend in insuring the Property described in clause 37 (Our Insurance Obligations). 5.5 Deposit Your deposit will be £[XXXXX] (AMOUNT IN WORDS) and We may ask You to increase this sum under the terms of clause 5 (Deposit). You must pay Us the deposit when You enter into this tenancy. 5.6 Decoration Fund You must pay £[XXXXX] (AMOUNT IN WORDS) plus VAT per annum to be put towards Your decorating obligations and this will be applied.

Edited by jamesogt
Adding numbers.