The Millhouses pub

Millhouses was shut on Monday night when I went past but open tonight and noticed nobody was in,not sure whats going on.

Abbey is open but looking for new Tennant

http://www.punchtaverns.com/property_images/286/caldes_pdf_286.pdf

I think both are struggling.

From that link,

Our Falcon Retail Contract sits outside of our Code of Practice but Punch remain committed to ethical

working practices

Phew, that's reassuring.

Ref the Abbey.

If you read the write up it sounds a really good opportunity.

However as we have discussed before the reality is there have been some good people in there who have really tried to make it work with loads of activity and promotions,Sky Tv ect but have still failed.

I just hope the next person does not commit to much of their own capital to it because in its location ,with the competition locally without a big injection of cash ,the type that a small business can not afford it will likely continue to lose money imo.

Millhouses lease available http://www.enterpriseinns.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/millhouses-sheffield.aspx

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 23:28 ----------

Ref the Abbey.

If you read the write up it sounds a really good opportunity.

However as we have discussed before the reality is there have been some good people in there who have really tried to make it work with loads of activity and promotions,Sky Tv ect but have still failed.

I just hope the next person does not commit to much of their own capital to it because in its location ,with the competition locally without a big injection of cash ,the type that a small business can not afford it will likely continue to lose money imo.

Looks like Punch Taverns are changing it from a lease pub to a managed pub to get round the new rules.

Same with the Millhouses.

How much money has been spent on that pub in the last few years?

You have the Robin opposite which is successful has cheap food and drink and is currently having more money spent on it and the Waggon down the road again a big chain with loads of money to spend.

I fear for its future has not really worked for a long time.

3 pubs so close in a not particularly busy suburban area is at leat 1 to many imo.

Edited by Fudbeer

Both have been great pubs over the years. Would be sad to see them go. They both need to search for that unique selling point. The Millhouses is almost there I think. It's very cosy, has terrific food and the beer is very well kept. The Abbey was doing alright but from what I understand the issue the previous owners faced was the kitchen facilities being condemned and needing a tens of thousands of pounds spend. It was too much and once they couldn't do food they couldn't make it work. If it could escape from the clutches of the pubco I think the Abbey would make a great brewpub. There's loads of space on the site and it's something the area doesn't have.

The Abbey is in a prime spot with lots of land.

Punch will be desperate for it to fail so that they can flog it for flats.

Obviously it's also in a prime spot to be a proper pub but unfortunately it's owned by a bunch of reptilian bottom feeders rather people who know or care about what they are doing.

Neither pub has much chance of surviving when both are competing with freeholds near by.

Fosters 11g Direct - £65

Foster 11g Tied (Punch/Enterprise) - £125

Moonshine 11g Direct £60

Moonshine 11g Tied (Punch/Enterprise) £105

There is just no way to compete and actually make any money. They can compete as managed houses as the lease holders sell beer to themselves at a competitive price!

Interesting when you compare the Millhouses to The Ranmoor rent an ingoing, which is traditionally much more successful....

http://www.enterpriseinns.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/ranmoor-inn-sheffield.aspx

Edited by jamesogt

I`m still hoping the rumours I heard about a respectable local chain looking at the abbey. Too nice for flats!?

Both have been great pubs over the years. Would be sad to see them go. They both need to search for that unique selling point. The Millhouses is almost there I think. It's very cosy, has terrific food and the beer is very well kept. The Abbey was doing alright but from what I understand the issue the previous owners faced was the kitchen facilities being condemned and needing a tens of thousands of pounds spend. It was too much and once they couldn't do food they couldn't make it work. If it could escape from the clutches of the pubco I think the Abbey would make a great brewpub. There's loads of space on the site and it's something the area doesn't have.

nothing wrong with the kitchens , when Kay was the manager there it worked perfectly well and she turned it round in a short space of time. this is the Millhouses I am talking about.

nothing wrong with the kitchens , when Kay was the manager there it worked perfectly well and she turned it round in a short space of time. this is the Millhouses I am talking about.

It was the Abbey that had the kitchen condemned.