Suspended councillor

Interesting news article today.  Bit of a silly mistake if you ask me. Having seen the "offending picture". Its something you can get online anyway.

I'm more concerned with him using a council phone for this material rather than the picture itself.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/sheffield-councillor-suspended-for-sending-inappropriate-photo-to-women-s-group-during-council-meeting-1-9478993

5 minutes ago, woodmally said:

Interesting news article today.  Bit of a silly mistake if you ask me. Having seen the "offending picture". Its something you can get online anyway.

I'm more concerned with him using a council phone for this material rather than the picture itself.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/sheffield-councillor-suspended-for-sending-inappropriate-photo-to-women-s-group-during-council-meeting-1-9478993

From the article:

He said: “This is my private phone and I receive so many things that my Whatsapp has been set up to automatically save everything in my phone’s photo file.”

Edited by Hook

Just an unfortunate mistake. I understand why his party had to suspend him but I hope he keeps his position. 

Let he who has never received a dodgy pic to their phone cast the first stone

2 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Just an unfortunate mistake. I understand why his party had to suspend him but I hope he keeps his position. 

Exactly I've seen the photo and its not something disimillar that you see from the Sun Newspaper to be honest.

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Ok then - I'll cast the first one...I have never received a dodgy pic on my phone.
But then I am somewhat "old school" and believe in a boundary between public and private...
Also despite working in the field for the last 30 years, I am happy to be described as a Tech Luddite, so my phone stays off until I care to phone someone with it.

The downside being of course, that I am, missing out on the joys of living in the social media echo chamber...where lots of like minded people can tell me what is really happening in the world.

Finally, I would be interested in whether any council business is being conducted on private communication devices,  as I am sure there must be regulations around correct anonymisation of personal data, proper recording of minutes and abiding with Data Protection Act regulations, that must be considered?
Hopefully in this case this was purely a personal interaction between the parties concerned...wrecked by the weakest point in all computerised systems...the human user.

All in all however, another bright light onto the unprofessional way the Council runs this city.

When is this city ever going to get the Council it yearns for?

3 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

Ok then - I'll cast the first one...I have never received a dodgy pic on my phone.
But then I am somewhat "old school" and believe in a boundary between public and private...
Also despite working in the field for the last 30 years, I am happy to be described as a Tech Luddite, so my phone stays off until I care to phone someone with it.

The downside being of course, that I am, missing out on the joys of living in the social media echo chamber...where lots of like minded people can tell me what is really happening in the world.

Finally, I would be interested in whether any council business is being conducted on private communication devices,  as I am sure there must be regulations around correct anonymisation of personal data, proper recording of minutes and abiding with Data Protection Act regulations, that must be considered?
Hopefully in this case this was purely a personal interaction between the parties concerned...wrecked by the weakest point in all computerised systems...the human user.

All in all however, another bright light onto the unprofessional way the Council runs this city.

When is this city ever going to get the Council it yearns for?

I agree with you there!

Its pretty much guaranteed that there will be council business conducted  on private devices whether permitted or not.  And given that probably half the council workforce work from home on a regular basis (cost saving measure) theres plenty of scope for data breaches

I agree, but there is no excuse for not being professional...

I too work from home full time (I am on my lunch break :))...and my job requires me to remotely access patient data to debug messaging interfaces.

I am very, very careful to triple check every email I send over the network, to ensure identifiable data is removed...otherwise I am in breach of patient confidentially arrangements and in real trouble.

The problem now is the inappropriate use of social media in professional circles and it's instantaneous nature...people simply click send before they think.

This over-reliance on Twitter, What'sApp and all the other social media crap is a big part of the amateur way this city seems to be run.

Presumably this is done because the politicos seem to think this makes them closer to the people, when I fact it takes them further away...and isolates them from what is really going on.

This is a big, important city and the people in charge should be running it properly, not sitting there clicking away frantically not thinking about what they are doing...

People are sick of all this...

1 minute ago, alchemist said:

It must have been a truly riveting meeting

And no doubt pointless as well...

You don't need a focus group to bring issues to your attention....you simply need to walk around your area and talk with people.

2 hours ago, woodmally said:

Exactly I've seen the photo and its not something disimillar that you see from the Sun Newspaper to be honest.

It looks like a selfie.  If I was his wife Id be wanting to know who sent it him! Or maybe it is his wife or girlfriend sending a selfie to cheer him up!

Edited by lil-minx92
addition

2 hours ago, Hook said:

From the article:

He said: “This is my private phone and I receive so many things that my Whatsapp has been set up to automatically save everything in my phone’s photo file.”

i call BS on this whats app does not automatically save it in photo file, it has to be moved manually.  well well well behind closed doors and all that:suspect:

6 minutes ago, helloitsonly said:

i call BS on this whats app does not automatically save it in photo file, it has to be moved manually.  well well well behind closed doors and all that:suspect:

You can set whatsapp to automatically save sent media to file.