SCC Have Lost Control of Taxis

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And now in English please for those of us not in the industry.

Are you saying only "black cabs" are taxis?

Black Cabs are actually Hackney Carriages, which is now commonly known and referred to as Taxi...

2 minutes ago, Lee_Ward_ALPHA said:

Black Cabs are actually Hackney Carriages, which is now commonly known and referred to as Taxi...

And does the  use of bus lanes by taxis differentiate between  "black cabs / hackney carriages" and "private hire vehicles" or are they both taxis in this respect?

Every time I've used a "private hire vehicle" - say City Cars - they've used bus lanes.

Again... in Sheffield, the use of Bus Lanes and Gates are allowed by Taxi (Hackney Vehicles) and PHV (Authorised Vehicles) as stated in the TRO... PHV from other areas do not carry authorised signage and therefore should not be allowed in Bus Lanes or Gates in Sheffield.

I am not sure if you are being argumentative or pedantic.... but I do believe that I have explained this in enough detail for you to understand.

17 minutes ago, Lee_Ward_ALPHA said:

Again... in Sheffield, the use of Bus Lanes and Gates are allowed by Taxi (Hackney Vehicles) and PHV (Authorised Vehicles) as stated in the TRO... PHV from other areas do not carry authorised signage and therefore should not be allowed in Bus Lanes or Gates in Sheffield.

I am not sure if you are being argumentative or pedantic.... but I do believe that I have explained this in enough detail for you to understand.

No - you're not being clear about what "authorised signage" means and appear to be saying only signage issued by the SCC licencing authority is authorised.

An example - the number plates on my car are signage issued in accordance with UK law - but I'm authorised to use those plates on the continent - and say German plates are authorised for use over here.

Edited by Longcol

Now you are being pedantic and not listening to the comments my friend...

A UK Vehicle Registration is just that, a registration of the United Kingdom....

Signage as authorised by SCC does not involve this, of course...

The signage on the side of a vehicle is what makes it authorised, not the vehicle type, or the vehicle registration or indeed the area the vehicle is licensed by....

17 minutes ago, Lee_Ward_ALPHA said:

Now you are being pedantic and not listening to the comments my friend...

A UK Vehicle Registration is just that, a registration of the United Kingdom....

Signage as authorised by SCC does not involve this, of course...

The signage on the side of a vehicle is what makes it authorised, not the vehicle type, or the vehicle registration or indeed the area the vehicle is licensed by....

As clear as mud as to what type of "taxi" is authorised to use bus lanes in Sheffield.

And I thought signage was usually on the front or rear of vehicles and not the side - be careful if you have to fill in an insurance claim.

Simply - can a taxi licensed by a licensing authority other than Sheffield use lanes in Sheffield designated for buses / taxis only - and if not please give me a link to something published by SCC that says only licences issued by SCC are authorised by SCC to use bus lanes.

Edited by Longcol

7 hours ago, Lee_Ward_ALPHA said:

Where is this TRO that you keep ‘quoting’ from?

12 hours ago, Lee_Ward_ALPHA said:

Actually, Planner1....your disclosure is a little ambiguous... Are you employed by SCC, or have you ever been employed by SCC?

You see, I love how you make comments as though you know everything pertaining to SCC, but I cant for the life of me figure out what role is or was ever present in SCC to be able to know everything...even Mothersole couldnt know every bit of information.....

I’ve been asked this before and it’s no secret on here that I have been employed by SCC. I do not currently work for them. I know many of the highways, transport and parking people at SCC, so if I don’t know the answer to a query, I can often ask the right person and get a response.

I think you’ll notice that I mainly comment on transport and highways matters as that is my field of expertise. I don’t know much about other areas of SCC operation, so tend not to comment on them.

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Where is this TRO that you keep ‘quoting’ from?

The Council keep the TRO’s. I don’t believe they are currrently available on line.

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

As clear as mud as to what type of "taxi" is authorised to use bus lanes in Sheffield.

And I thought signage was usually on the front or rear of vehicles and not the side - be careful if you have to fill in an insurance claim.

Simply - can a taxi licensed by a licensing authority other than Sheffield use lanes in Sheffield designated for buses / taxis only - and if not please give me a link to something published by SCC that says only licences issued by SCC are authorised by SCC to use bus lanes.

In Sheffield, hackney cabs (taxis) can use bus lanes. So can private hire vehicles.

This applies to all taxis and private hire irrespective of where they are licensed. 

Cabs do actually display a sticker on the side of the vehicle. As Lee correctly points out, this is a requirement stated in the traffic regulation order. This was put in to assist the Council with enforcement, so they can identify cabs in camera enforcement images. This was useful to some extent when enforcement was carried out by manually observed cameras.

However, bus lane / gate enforcement in Sheffield is now carried out via automatic enforcement cameras, which read the number plate and have all Sheffield licensed Hackney’s and private hire on an exemption list. Out of town licensed cabs get a ticket first time they use an enforced bus lane, the ticket is cancelled if they provide valid license details. They are then put on the exemption list for the duration of their current license. It works this way in all local authorities as there is no central list of licensed Hackney’s and private hire vehicles for the whole country.

The side mounted stickers are therefore not that much use anymore for enforcement.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

I’ve been asked this before and it’s no secret on here that I have been employed by SCC. I do not currently work for them. I know many of the highways, transport and parking people at SCC, so if I don’t know the answer to a query, I can often ask the right person and get a response.

I think you’ll notice that I mainly comment on transport and highways matters as that is my field of expertise. I don’t know much about other areas of SCC operation, so tend not to comment on them.

The Council keep the TRO’s. I don’t believe they are currrently available on line.

In Sheffield, hackney cabs (taxis) can use bus lanes. So can private hire vehicles.

This applies to all taxis and private hire irrespective of where they are licensed. 

Cabs do actually display a sticker on the side of the vehicle. As Lee correctly points out, this is a requirement stated in the traffic regulation order. This was put in to assist the Council with enforcement, so they can identify cabs in camera enforcement images. This was useful to some extent when enforcement was carried out by manually observed cameras.

However, bus lane / gate enforcement in Sheffield is now carried out via automatic enforcement cameras, which read the number plate and have all Sheffield licensed Hackney’s and private hire on an exemption list. Out of town licensed cabs get a ticket first time they use an enforced bus lane, the ticket is cancelled if they provide valid license details. They are then put on the exemption list for the duration of their current license. It works this way in all local authorities as there is no central list of licensed Hackney’s and private hire vehicles for the whole country.

The side mounted stickers are therefore not that much use anymore for enforcement.

Is the bus lane camera at hillsborough automatic now? I was under the impression it was manual still!

5 hours ago, Hook said:

Is the bus lane camera at hillsborough automatic now? I was under the impression it was manual still!

Yes they are (there are three) There’s one on an extended traffic signal pole on the corner by Subway. Smallish black another camera. 

Am i correct in saying that taxis are allowed to use bus lanes onley, if they have a fare paying passenger in the taxi ?

2 hours ago, kidley said:

Am i correct in saying that taxis are allowed to use bus lanes onley, if they have a fare paying passenger in the taxi ?

You're mixing up the seatbelt rule with bus lanes!

I don't think buses are allowed in bus lanes if no passengers, btw :)