SCC Have Lost Control of Taxis

On 04/08/2019 at 22:35, leginemro said:

why dont people start to use the buses instead of Taxi,s 

Give me a bus service again that runs at the time I need to go to work rather than starting an hour later and I will. It's not like I'm paying a small fortune on taxis for the fun of it. When they cut the early morning bus routes from my area I was left with no other choice.

On 05/08/2019 at 09:16, bassett one said:

i got in a mates taxi with the wife and another couple and the man rang in the company saying hes now classed as a bus the fare went up hugely ,but i suspect cheaper than 2 cabs,asked if we could use the 6 seater from a reputable hire company for 1am return,he said sorry i have the firms permission to turn into a 6 seater black cab and work for myself round town from 12 midnight,seems strange rules,but he was a black cab with a company name on doors and was booked.

If a firm - and you ring for one - and don't state that there are more than 4 people it will be standard rate.

If the vehicle arrives and is a 4 seater, and more than 4 of you, they will say ring for another one.

If the vehicle arrives and is say a 12 seater minibus, and there are 6 of you, they will call through to office, and update job to a 6 seater, which will be more. (possibly fare and a half, if you say it went up a lot)

3 hours ago, Resident said:

I'd be checking that with Licencing & the firm in question.

yes, see above, and they may confirm this if my explanation is correct.

10 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

If a firm - and you ring for one - and don't state that there are more than 4 people it will be standard rate.

If the vehicle arrives and is a 4 seater, and more than 4 of you, they will say ring for another one.

If the vehicle arrives and is say a 12 seater minibus, and there are 6 of you, they will call through to office, and update job to a 6 seater, which will be more. (possibly fare and a half, if you say it went up a lot)

yes, see above, and they may confirm this if my explanation is correct.

It was more the fact that black cabs don't have 6 seats in the rear (or shouldn't)

1 hour ago, Resident said:

It was more the fact that black cabs don't have 6 seats in the rear (or shouldn't)

Some do. Euros/Vitos/LVECs all have 6.

On 04/08/2019 at 22:35, leginemro said:

why dont people start to use the buses instead of Taxi,s 

For example when I and my partner want to come home from the city centre, it's not much more for an Uber taxi compared to two bus fares. So we take the more comfortable taxi.

Edited by nightrider

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

For example when I and my partner want to come home from the city centre, it's not much more for an Uber taxi compared to two bus fares. So we take the more comfortable taxi.

Ridiculous isn’t it?

4 people in hillsborough want to go to town. £6ish in a cab, over £2 each on tram?

no brainer

Guest busdriver1

There are controls that SCC can implement but choose not to for whatever reasons. 

It is possible (and is done in some areas) to ban private hire cars from bus lanes and gates meaning that the black cabs that they have more control over have an advantage.

This would massively reduce the impact that Uber and other PHV operators have in the area as their journey times and fares would increase.

Like I say SCC has chosen not to do this.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

There are controls that SCC can implement but choose not to for whatever reasons. 

It is possible (and is done in some areas) to ban private hire cars from bus lanes and gates meaning that the black cabs that they have more control over have an advantage.

This would massively reduce the impact that Uber and other PHV operators have in the area as their journey times and fares would increase.

With the gates in town now, it would be virtually impossible to work without them.

They are considering it though.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Years ago, SCC didn't used to allow PHV in bus lanes / gates, but Councillors demanded that it be changed. Around the country the position is mixed, some allow PHV, some don't. I'd say the position is moving more towards letting PHV use bus lanes in more places from discussions I've had with officers from other Councils. 

Back to SCC have lost Control if taxis, that is clearly right, we as customers put our lives in there hands every time we get into a taxi. We expect the car/ taxi to be in good clean working order, we expect the driver to take us from A to B in a responsible manner, 

we expect the driver to be honest and reliable as a self employed person should be,

but how do we the customer no what he’s like, 

taxi drivers I think should have a tachograph fitted to there vehicles to monitor the hours they drive and there driving habits (how long they have for a break how fast they drive  and so on) 

and should all have a criminal free record certificate on display,  

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, boringal said:

Back to SCC have lost Control if taxis, that is clearly right, we as customers put our lives in there hands every time we get into a taxi. We expect the car/ taxi to be in good clean working order, we expect the driver to take us from A to B in a responsible manner, 

we expect the driver to be honest and reliable as a self employed person should be,

but how do we the customer no what he’s like, 

taxi drivers I think should have a tachograph fitted to there vehicles to monitor the hours they drive and there driving habits (how long they have for a break how fast they drive  and so on) 

and should all have a criminal free record certificate on display,  

I wont hold my breath waiting for that to happen, too many vested interests will be blocking that one. 

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I wont hold my breath waiting for that to happen, too many vested interests will be blocking that one. 

When I used to work at the tax office and we wanted a clampdown on dodgy taxi drivers the one vested interest that always seemed to get in our way was Rotherham Council.