SCC Have Lost Control of Taxis

2 hours ago, kidley said:

Am i correct in saying that taxis are allowed to use bus lanes onley, if they have a fare paying passenger in the taxi ?

Yes they can use them as the permission is granted on condition of being licensed and a licensed vehicle doesn’t stop being licensed when it’s not carrying passengers. Half of the working day is spent empty, either going to pick up passengers or going back to rank after dropping off passengers. 

Sheffield City Council have lost control of taxis operating in Sheffield (and by extension RMBC are the same in Rotherham) 

I drive around the city multiple times a day (working) and I rarely see a taxi with a Sheffield plate. 

Most common are Calderdale, East Lindley or East Derbyshire. 

Others include Bradford, Wolverhampton and on one occasion my partner booked a taxi with City and it turned up with a Southampton plate on it. 

Deregulation has caused a massive issue in my mind because these smaller councils are handing plates out hand over fist because it's cash in the bank. 

I doubt very much that proper checks are being made. 

14 hours ago, Resident said:

Sheffield City Council have lost control of taxis operating in Sheffield (and by extension RMBC are the same in Rotherham) 

I drive around the city multiple times a day (working) and I rarely see a taxi with a Sheffield plate. 

Most common are Calderdale, East Lindley or East Derbyshire. 

Others include Bradford, Wolverhampton and on one occasion my partner booked a taxi with City and it turned up with a Southampton plate on it. 

Deregulation has caused a massive issue in my mind because these smaller councils are handing plates out hand over fist because it's cash in the bank. 

I doubt very much that proper checks are being made. 

I picked up a customer the other day. He told me he starts Uber next month, and asking me a few things about taxi-ing (mainly why was I driving a manual! :hihi:) - I mean what the heck has that got to do with anything?! (I thought)

He said gone to Calderdale. I said why not SCC? (rhetorically of course). He just laughed and said expensive, no way I pass knowledge test, this is easy, just go, pay money and work. I asked if he knew Sheffield City Centre* , he said no, but my friends do it, and easy money.

(*as Uber nav doesn't know they can use bus gates, so is like your normal sat nav - i.e. It has no chance in the City Centre)

14 hours ago, Resident said:

also, this was today... I had a job from Uni/Hosps, to Kimberworth. Near the end, they mentioned using Uber and said ''never any cars in the area'',

so I [jokingly] said 'That's because they're all in Sheffield!' ... to absolutely no reaction at all, to this 'in-joke' :hihi:

24 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

also, this was today... I had a job from Uni/Hosps, to Kimberworth. Near the end, they mentioned using Uber and said ''never any cars in the area'',

so I [jokingly] said 'That's because they're all in Sheffield!' ... to absolutely no reaction at all, to this 'in-joke' :hihi:

What - you mean the fleshpots of Kimberworth don't draw cabs like a moth to a flame - I mean it must be worth at least a dozen fares a month 😎

11 minutes ago, Longcol said:

What - you mean the fleshpots of Kimberworth don't draw cabs like a moth to a flame - I mean it must be worth at least a dozen fares a month 😎

Lots of fares around ALL of Rotherham. I don't take them because I don't know it well enough, and I don't use sat navs.

Just now, *_ash_* said:

Lots of fares around ALL of Rotherham. I don't take them because I don't know it well enough, and I don't use sat navs.

Don't  sat navs mark Rovvrum as "unchartable - here be dragons"?

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Don't  sat navs mark Rovvrum as "unchartable - here be dragons"?

Possibly, but the Uber nav doesn't know its way around, that's all I know. I think it's set to the equivalent of a normal nav set to 'shortest route' so it takes you down horse paths and such!

I'm ok working in Rotherham (like when on YW) where I had an A-Z and knew it well enough to just look at where the next meter was, and where I was. And in a few seconds work out the route in my head. That's not how it works in a taxi. I can't work out rotherham in my head, don't know it well enough.

I might as well be within 1/4 mile of Waterthorpe Greenway in Sheffield. I don' thave knowledge in the back streets, but once on main road know what's going on.

It's easier to just work the areas I know most. (about 80% of Sheffield) - as I can work faster.

Edited by *_ash_*

why dont people start to use the buses instead of Taxi,s 

55 minutes ago, leginemro said:

why dont people start to use the buses instead of Taxi,s 

Can we have you as PM?

😎

i got in a mates taxi with the wife and another couple and the man rang in the company saying hes now classed as a bus the fare went up hugely ,but i suspect cheaper than 2 cabs,asked if we could use the 6 seater from a reputable hire company for 1am return,he said sorry i have the firms permission to turn into a 6 seater black cab and work for myself round town from 12 midnight,seems strange rules,but he was a black cab with a company name on doors and was booked.

On 05/08/2019 at 09:16, bassett one said:

i got in a mates taxi with the wife and another couple and the man rang in the company saying hes now classed as a bus the fare went up hugely ,but i suspect cheaper than 2 cabs,asked if we could use the 6 seater from a reputable hire company for 1am return,he said sorry i have the firms permission to turn into a 6 seater black cab and work for myself round town from 12 midnight,seems strange rules,but he was a black cab with a company name on doors and was booked.

I'd be checking that with Licencing & the firm in question.

my thoughts entirely when i read it, a bus licence is different to a taxi licence. i would say you have been had basset and good look with the festival.