Record low number of english players in the epl

Something like 53 players only last week in the 10 matches.

Why don't they rename it the WPL - World Premier League?

The EPL is English in name only these days. If not it's well on the way to becoming that way.

Forward another decade - I can see less than 20 English players playing some weeks in a competition of 20 teams ( 220 players)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46431989

4 hours ago, MAC33 said:

Something like 53 players only last week in the 10 matches.

Why don't they rename it the WPL - World Premier League?

The EPL is English in name only these days. If not it's well on the way to becoming that way.

Forward another decade - I can see less than 20 English players playing some weeks in a competition of 20 teams ( 220 players)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46431989

I watch football, not nationalities.

I want to watch quality not nationalities.

I want my teams to win I really don't care if they are all from my village/town/city/county/region/country or religion.

Most of the original post war top first division teams had much smaller squads and would struggle to get over 50% English players in a game.

I do care that the structure of the EPL , the finances of clubs and lack of competitions prevents young  British players from getting opportunities. If the adults aren't good enough -tough.

Well there are at least three Sheffield born lads in the Premier and all three have played or playing for England.

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Most of the original post war top first division teams had much smaller squads and would struggle to get over 50% English players in a game.

Which teams/years are you talking about?

16 hours ago, truman said:

Which teams/years are you talking about?

e.g. Manchester United1969

23 hours ago, St Petre said:

Well there are at least four Sheffield born lads in the Premier and all three have played or playing for England.

Wednesday's 1966 FA Cup Final team contained 1 Scot and 10 Englishmen (no subs in cup then) and four of those were Sheffield born. Yes how times and team squads have changed.

Edited by St Petre
add

4 hours ago, St Petre said:

Wednesday's 1966 FA Cup Final team contained 1 Scot and 10 Englishmen (no subs in cup then) and four of those were Sheffield born. Yes how times and team squads have changed.

Everton had 3 Scots as I remember, Jimmy Gabriel, Alex Scott and Alex Young. The rest were English.

5 hours ago, Longcol said:

Everton had 3 Scots as I remember, Jimmy Gabriel, Alex Scott and Alex Young. The rest were English.

Yes and out of the English players 4 were born in Liverpool.