Sheffield united walking club

Remember my grandfather taking them on the vavious events across the north to various road waking competitions Manchester, Morcambe, Donny etc. Frank Clay and his brother, Roland Hardy. Messuer Harry Barker. They also use to enter the star walk to which I have seen many pictures in the Star retro.

This sport was very, very  popular in the fifties, sixties and seventies.  You would often come across groups of them always dressed in white tops and shorts, waddling along at great speed.  Seems to have completely disappeared now. 

Sheffield United Harriers, I think was the largest club.

Hello,

I am a Producer on a prime-time BBC Two social history series called ‘Back in Time for the Corner Shop’ and we are  looking for someone who won the Star Walk in the 1980s.

Following the success of previous BAFTA nominated series’ including Back in Time for Dinner and Back in Time for Tea - which regularly reached audiences of 3 million - this new programme will see a modern family transported through one hundred years of domestic and working life as they live and work in a corner shop in the heart of a working-class community.  

Guided by presenter Sara Cox and historian Polly Russell, one Sheffield-based family will experience what life was like for working families in Yorkshire as they wear the clothes, eat the food and experience the lifestyle of a different decade each week, reflecting on the social and economic changes of the era.

As part of our 1980s programme we are going to recreate a 1980s star walk, and would love for someone to take part with us who remembers doing it, and maybe even winning it in the eighties.

If anyone springs to mind do let me know. I can be contacted at [email protected]

Kindest Regards

Claire 

Contact if he is still alive John Eddershaw I think he lived in the walkley area he may know something.

Roland Hardy who won it had a family in the Chesterfield area

Was it even going in the mail 80's ?

Edited by desy

I think John Warhurst was a member of the club and I think he won the Star walk and went on to represent G.B. in the Commonwealth games, I think it was. And I still see him walking with his wife, but much slower these days.