Is it better to record ownership just in case?

For contents insurance purposes.

Would it be prudent to make a small video, covering major rooms and items, on the off chance that you need to verify ownership?

A friend just won their claim for goods away from home after being refused twice by their insurance. One of the reasons being they can't prove they had the item (sunglasses in this case)

If I tot up all the things I don't have a receipt for it makes sense but would it be considered suspicious?

It's totally normal, I don't know many people who keep receipts for things, even big ticket items.

I've never had to make a claim but if I had to....

Most of my big ticket items were at least second hand, things like oven and dishwasher I got free. I couldn't produce a receipt for 70% of the stuff. Not to mention my extensive Sylvania families and steiff toys!

24 minutes ago, Stranza said:

For contents insurance purposes.

Would it be prudent to make a small video, covering major rooms and items, on the off chance that you need to verify ownership?

A friend just won their claim for goods away from home after being refused twice by their insurance. One of the reasons being they can't prove they had the item (sunglasses in this case)

If I tot up all the things I don't have a receipt for it makes sense but would it be considered suspicious?

A few years ago when I got my own place I began taking photos of significant purchases. Any receipts/delivery slips are scanned to a digital copy and stored in 2 separate cloud accounts (2 different providers) as well as locally on a NAS stored in a secure location within my house. 

That's probably overkill but it's what I do. 

And remember kids, photograph or video your items BEFORE they are stolen as every digital image contains metadata which will tell the insurance company exactly when the photo was taken and what camera or phone it was taken on! ;)

I was pick pocketed in Athens,  Insurance would not cover my phone as I did not have gadget cover.  (My mistake, should have read the small print) so I at least tried to claim for everything else.  They wanted receipts for everything, I had tickets in the wallet for all the ancient sites (one ticket covered them all) If I was even given a receipt for that when I bought them it would ave been in the wallet with the tickets, which was stolen!  They even wanted a receipt for the wallet!  Who keeps receipts for these things?!  it does seem that you need to keep receipts for everything in case of any eventuality. 

It was reading the other thread that prompted my question TCH, I have photos of random squirrels or cats I've met but none that are exactly useful.

A bit in the spirit of Russian dashcams I'm thinking is it wise to preempt any hiccups.

I would love to be so organised Resident! it's about time I stopped my lackadaisical approach.

I have only ever made one insurance claim and that was for a stolen car. When I challenged the claims advisor's unsympathetic and aggressive manner,  he apologised to me and said that they are trained to assume that every claim is fraudulent until proven otherwise.

Record serial numbers and mark them with those UV pens.  

Its also worth checking if your local Neighbourhood Watch or Homewatch does those cheap Smartwater kits for £15.

And don't forget to keep a copy of this information and videos offsite - just in case you have a house fire and lose everything.

Edited by alchresearch

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

And remember kids, photograph or video your items BEFORE they are stolen as every digital image contains metadata which will tell the insurance company exactly when the photo was taken and what camera or phone it was taken on! ;)

Trivial to remove the metadata if you wish.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Trivial to remove the metadata if you wish.

If I was an insurance company which was sent a digital photograph to show evidence that the item being claimed was in your possesion on such and such a date and the metadata had been stripped, I would want to know why.