History of the lansdowne estate/flats

I’m researching a short history of the Lansdowne estate/flats to encourage fellow residents and Highfield/Sharrow folk to take an interest (and hopefully some pride) in our little piece of the post-war dream. I’ve been living there for the last three years and really love it.

I’m keen to hear from long-term residents, folks who grew up there, or anyone who remembers its planning and construction. Tell me what you know about its history, about life on the estate when it was first built, and about how it’s changed over the years. I’m particularly keen to hear any stories and see any old photos that you might want to share.

The low-rise portion of the estate was built between 1970 and ’72 using the same concept as the nearby Hanover estate (built two years earlier). During the ‘60s Sheffield Council had established several ‘redevelopment areas’ in which the existing 19th century housing stock was – fairly or unfairly – judged unfit for human habitation. The process of buying up the old Victorian neighbourhood in the Lansdowne redevelopment area (around the now-vanished Lansdowne Road) had been underway since the early ‘60s. What we know as the Lansdowne estate was the second phase of redevelopment – the high-rise blocks at Leverton Gardens were phase 1, built in 1964.

Though starting his career at Sheffield United, Manchester City and England footballer Kyle Walker was from the Landsdowne estate and went to Porter Brook school  I believe,  if that helps. 

Thanks, interesting to hear we've got some celebrity alumni!