Taxi driver insurance scam

53 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

I

No they dont. They state that its a Taxi(driver).

The point about the 54 plate is from the information that their friend who is a taxi driver informed them of reasons why these incidents may happen and nothing to do with the vehicle used in the actual incident itself (or thats how i'm reading it)

Perhaps I read it wrong then.

Later I found out from a taxi driver friend

If they've got a old car say 54 plate or in that year age they need to get a new taxi in order to carry on with work and older cars are not allowed on road due to condition of the car...

49 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

- get in a crash and get it written off, saving you the hassle of selling.  Throw in a bit of compo for whiplash and you've got the dosh for a new taxi.

That is why it is important to report any incidents where you suspect a driver might be trying to cause a 'crash for cash'.

The police won't be able to take action on a single report but if the same vehicle crops up time and again, then when the driver eventually has a 'crash' and puts in a claim, these reports can be used to demonstrate that the driver is lying when they try to claim that this was an isolated incident.

A suspicion alone is enough to have investigators check CCTV footage from the time of, and in the area of the accident which may show a number of previous unsuccessful attempts to cause a collision.

People have been convicted of insurance fraud based on CCTV evidence showing them cruising an area looking for a victim.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Me too.  If your privately owned taxi is too old then you have to replace it.  

In Manchester they can't be older than 12 years.    So if you're driving an 06 plated taxi and can't afford to replace it - get in a crash and get it written off, saving you the hassle of selling.  Throw in a bit of compo for whiplash and you've got the dosh for a new taxi.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:46 PM, Preppershtfs said:

I became aware of a new scam nocking

Around..

As I was driving in city centre and s9 postcode.

As I was on main road a taxi driver refused me to over take him on a duel carriage way and kept on swerving in front of me as I went behind  him and kept my distance from him  he then braked hard in order for me to go in back of him and put in a claim.

Later I found out from a taxi driver friend

If they've got a old car say 54 plate or in that year age they need to get a new taxi in order to carry on with work and older cars are not allowed on road due to condition of the car...

Please be careful out there 

PEACE

When I first went in for my HGV license and then later my PSV, as it was then, we were told that no matter what the circumstances, if you run into somebody it is your fault. Mind you that was before the days of these scams , so I don't know what the position is now .

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Me too.  If your privately owned taxi is too old then you have to replace it.  

In Manchester they can't be older than 12 years.    So if you're driving an 06 plated taxi and can't afford to replace it - get in a crash and get it written off, saving you the hassle of selling.  Throw in a bit of compo for whiplash and you've got the dosh for a new taxi.

Or be caught for dangerous driving and insurance fraud, have your insurance cancelled and your license revoked.

Is it worth the risk?

7 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Or be caught for dangerous driving and insurance fraud, have your insurance cancelled and your license revoked.

Is it worth the risk?

I saw a thing on the BBC called 'Claimed and Shamed' recently which looked at insurance fraud and used real recorded phone conversations between insurance companies and claimants.

What came across clearly was how very stupid many insurance fraudsters are.

"So you lost your iPhoneX in Thailand three weeks ago? ......"Yes"

"Then can you explain why your SIM card was still active in an iPhoneX with the same IMEI number as the one you are claiming for in Slough two hours ago?"

"So you have never met the person who crashed into your car?" "No"

"Then why are there over 200 photos of that person on your facebook page?"

"The photo of your stolen Rolex watch which you have just sent us, when was it taken?"

"Three years ago on my mates Nokia N95"

"Then can you explain why the metadata says the photo was taken on a Samsung Galaxy five minutes before you emailed us the photo this morning?"

If you are going to make a hooky insurance claim, at least make sure you understand how the world works before submitting your claim! :suspect:

19 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

So it wasn't a taxi?

Why not write a car driver scam,. or people pretending to show their vehicles as taxis?

I can't see why they would do it, other than to push blame somewhere else.

It was a taxi driver 

5 minutes ago, Preppershtfs said:

It was a taxi driver 

Well, I'm still non-the-wiser. According to most members of the forum, most taxi drivers aren't actually taxi drivers, but relatives of them.

Was it a PHV or a Hackney?

This is important, and what I perhaps misread. They both have different lengths of time that they are legally allowed to be used in Sheffield.

3 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Well, I'm still non-the-wiser. According to most members of the forum, most taxi drivers aren't actually taxi drivers, but relatives of them.

Was it a PHV or a Hackney?

This is important, and what I perhaps misread. They both have different lengths of time that they are legally allowed to be used in Sheffield.

Phv

8 minutes ago, Preppershtfs said:

Phv

It cannot be a Sheffield one then.

54 plate is years and years too old! So probably not a taxi driver either  (might be an OOT, but even then not many council allow 54 plates)

I couldn't give you the oldest possible plate in sheffield as it changed in recent years. We used to be able to run them for 7 years, now 9 years.

Given this info, what made you think it was a taxi?

edit*OOT is out of towners

a pal of mine used to run a taxi as a family car, with a disabled wife to run around it was ideal, but he was all ways getting flagged down in spite of the car being a very old  fx model.

17 minutes ago, choogling said:

a pal of mine used to run a taxi as a family car, with a disabled wife to run around it was ideal, but he was all ways getting flagged down in spite of the car being a very old  fx model.

More should do this. Modern wheelchair vehicles are very expensive. Old cabs just end up as scrap, when they are perfectly reasonable to transporting own family members who are confined to chairs.

(I'm sure someone will say old cabs are old smelly diesels, and they'd be almost right, as not all of them are wrecks. Some of the old nissan engines will go on for ever, and most cabs are well maintained by their owners, so plenty of decent ones are scrapped.

Edited by *_ash_*

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I saw a thing on the BBC called 'Claimed and Shamed' recently which looked at insurance fraud and used real recorded phone conversations between insurance companies and claimants.

What came across clearly was how very stupid many insurance fraudsters are.

If you are going to make a hooky insurance claim, at least make sure you understand how the world works before submitting your claim! :suspect:

I watch the same program, there have been some real doozys on there