How can i pay for a weekly tram pass?

I want to use my debit card to purchase a weekly tram pass but i'm not sure how to.

I've tried to find a Smartcard with no luck as nowhere near me supplies them and I don't really want to buy a paper ticket on the tram as i'll probably lose it or get it wet.

Any other ideas? Any advice welcome! 

Easy  (I think - it's a while since I got mine) - just ask the tram conductor for one. There is a charge for them now (£1.00?)'

If you can't get one on the tram, pay a visit to the Arundel Gate or Transport Interchange information Centre.

Thank you for the information. Do you know if it is cash only on the tram?

Just now, Bollie said:

Thank you for the information. Do you know if it is cash only on the tram?

A couple of weeks ago when I wanted to pay on the tram via card, I was informed it was cash only.

The Stagecoach app on Android or Apple phone. You can register your debit card or use Paypal.

Unbelievable that the Tram is still operating on a cash only basis. Come on Stagecoach it’s time to invest in some nice shiny new ticket machines that allow card payments. 

On 12/10/2018 at 12:20 AM, trainwalker said:

Unbelievable that the Tram is still operating on a cash only basis. Come on Stagecoach it’s time to invest in some nice shiny new ticket machines that allow card payments.  

Indeed. And allow phones with NFC to have the weekly/monthly smart tickets stored on them.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:20 AM, trainwalker said:

not really, the additional cost to upgrade the equipment, and a requirement for a constant, stable internet connection to each of the devices limits the possibilities..

they can barely afford to keep the system running as it is, yet alone upgrade it!

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

not really, the additional cost to upgrade the equipment, and a requirement for a constant, stable internet connection to each of the devices limits the possibilities..

they can barely afford to keep the system running as it is, yet alone upgrade it!

The biggest issue is none of those things - but finding a device which has enough battery power to last a conductor an entire duty and do this day in day out without too much degradation in battery life. Unlike buses where the machines are powered by the vehicle they rely solely on battery for the entire length of a shift. 

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

Stagecoach operate  EMT trains which have card machines that can take your money on moving trains for 2 hours plus.

Stagecoach have retrofitted some of their buses with internet which is not always constant or stable.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Actually the issue is there isn't yet a portable ticket machine on the market that can do both smart and contactless. Two suppliers are developing such technology and Supertram should have new ticket machines that can take card payment next autumn all being well I'm told.

For now daily, weekly and 28 day tickets can be bought online with a card either via the Stagecoach bus app or supertram.com.