Noisy student neighbours

Hi

Please PM me about this.  I am a community leader in that area and Neighbourhood Watch Area Co-ordinator.  There are channels we go through for this sort of nuisance and get results, as we are now recognised as a valuable civilian asset with working links to City Council, Police, and Trading Standards etc .  Under law you are entitled to enjoy your property without this sort of nuisance.  The council therefore  enforce your rights if you make a complaint.  They do this by having  a department dealing with such things as noise nuisance, but you have to work for results via that route, its not just a phone call to them.  I will guide you through how to get real results, and  can send a NHW letter to these  Hallam Uni morons for you, which has done the trick in the past without involving the Council.  Meanwhile keep a register of times and disturbances also.  No point contacting the Hallam University,  gone are the days when they involved themselves in their students' bad behaviour on the ground to make any kind of difference to residents among which they live in the Ecc Rd area (probably overwhelmed by the sheer numbers).  They have blighted our residential areas here for long enough. Thankfully the purpose-built student accommodation nearer the city centre is luring them away from our areas and our house-prices are getting back to where they should be.  Plus we can sleep better at night and not have to wade through mountains of litter.  The important thing is YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  Look forward to  hearing from you.

No one's suggested it yet, so I will...

Why don't you just move somewhere else where you aren't surrounded by students?

I also wonder what you expected when you moved into a student area - assuming it was a student area when you moved in?  If it wasn't then I can understand while you feel aggrieved about it.

Edited by DerbyTup

Wait until they go to bed and then start banging around your house, I had a neighbour when I had my child who used to start vacuuming at 10-10:30 at night, I knew she stayed in bed in the morning so kept pretending to hammer nails on the wall. It lasted about a week and she must have realised, the vacuuming stopped.

I have had countless noisy neighbours, one who played music at least 10 hours a day,  usually between the hours of 8pm and 6am -  so loud it vibrated my furniture and it made me very unwell.  Only after persistent reporting and complaining, 5 months later, did it suddenly cease. My guess is the offending neighbour got threatened with the eviction process as the next course of action. 

My point is,  it may take a long time to see results from the day you complain, so act now. Complain via the Sheffield Council website,  and contact the Uni. Keep a diary, report every party that is too loud or at unsociable hours, if you feel it affects your daily living. 

I really hope they quiet down soon,  some people can be so selfish and  ignorant to other peoples lives and well being, it wont stop unless they are told to by an authority. Good luck and let us know what happens :)

15 hours ago, Ducky1 said:

Wait until they go to bed and then start banging around your house, I had a neighbour when I had my child who used to start vacuuming at 10-10:30 at night, I knew she stayed in bed in the morning so kept pretending to hammer nails on the wall. It lasted about a week and she must have realised, the vacuuming stopped.

might i suggest making the noise as suggested by Ducky  only start it at 7:00 am..   if they have had a late night they wont appreciate that and that time of day gives them not much of a leg to stand on if they want to compalin about you.

also ultra high pitched noise can be useful ...too high for you to hear if you are older than them ...  but not a good idea if you have kids.  if your neighbours kids complain ...blame the students..

however if you moved into a student area i have no sympathy for you re their noise and smells.

if was not a student area when you moved in  you have my every sympathy... 

ridiculous as it may sound...  if they are chinese write to their embassy...  i heard of someone doing that and the effect was almost immediate...  maybe coincidence maybe an urban myth but only costs a stamp to try.

There is a lot of nonsense advice here.  I don't know why people think the University will get involved.  If you had noisy neighbours who worked, for example, as checkout assistants at Asda, would you call Asda to complain?

Of course not.  Their occupation is irrelevant.  They are causing a nuisance and being noisy at anti-social hours.  The only recourse, after politely asking them to quieten down, is the police.  They have the power to deal with it properly.

20 hours ago, fill said:

ridiculous as it may sound...  if they are chinese write to their embassy...  i heard of someone doing that and the effect was almost immediate...  maybe coincidence maybe an urban myth but only costs a stamp to try.

LOL - at what point did they become Chinese?   Nobody has raised their ethnicity.   Chinese students do not have loud house parties in the backyard until 6.30am.   And Chinese students do not live in terraced housing in Eccleshall Road.  They live almost exclusively in purpose built student apartments in the city, surrounded by other Chinese students.

I have had the misfortune to acquire the neighbours from hell about twenty years ago. Druggy Rastafarian’s who slept in the day and came out to play at night.  Comings and goings at all hours of the night and the smell of illegal substances being smoked was awful. The music playing would start at about 10pm and would last for hours. The best day of my life was the day they were evicted as it could not have happened to a nice group of feral animals. 

On 12/21/2018 at 10:13 AM, bendix said:

LOL - at what point did they become Chinese?   Nobody has raised their ethnicity.   Chinese students do not have loud house parties in the backyard until 6.30am.   And Chinese students do not live in terraced housing in Eccleshall Road.  They live almost exclusively in purpose built student apartments in the city, surrounded by other Chinese students.

what you say about chinese students is generally true.  but not 100%   there are chinese students off ecclesall road living in terraced houses perhsaps you ought to verify your information before you quote it as gospel.  and what i said was a suggestion that  i have heard apparently worked in one instance.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:24 AM, levisage said:

Hi all

A new group of students moved into the house directly behind me in the summer (Eccy Rd area). This year they are the party types, regularly having outdoor mass gatherings at the weekend and loud music going on until sometimes 6:30am. I've been round asking them to be more considerate but to no avail.

I know the house number, and they're all students of Sheffield Hallam. Does anyone know the best way to approach this? I couldn't find a specific phone number or email to contact the Hallam, and I have no idea who their landlord is.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

you will have no luck with the council they are jokes when it comes to noise, they do nothing for years.

i would find out who lives in the house and send round a few friends for a quiet word.

also the music has to be of a certain volume, and they will ask you to keep a dairy for ages. 

failing that painting there window black  

There's quite a few unsympathetic replies here isn't there? "You moved to a student area so you should expect it" 

I think living in a 'student area'  (hate that phrase as if students aren't 'real people') there's some expectation that during intro week, halloween, end of exams and end of term there might be a few parties but going till 6.30 is just plain unreasonable for anyone, student or not and on a week night it's plain bloody rude.  

Sadly the council's noise offer these days is pretty rubbish - you're asked to keep a diary but student parties are nearly always one offs and it has to be persistent and regular for a 'statutory nuisance' to be recorded and dealt with. By the time you get to the end of that process they'll have long moved out. For the students themselves I dare say it's a badge of honour to get a noise complaint, proving you had it large.

It's a shame, council cuts have done for the night noise team who would turn up with a PCO in tow and a brush with officialdom  was usually enough to embarrass students into cutting it out. Shef Uni (can't speak for Hallam, they may have an equivalent) have a number where their own security staff who can have a word but they don't have any power to actually do anything. The party often pipes down for half and hour or so then kicks off again. If things are really bad they also have a community liaison bod (again, can't speak for Hallam but I'd be surprised if they don't have the equivalent) who - contrary to what some people have said here - do seem to take complaints seriously and threaten students under the 'bringing the uni into disrepute' bit of their student charter. Some students will respond, water off a ducks back for others. 

Our immediate neighbours on one side are students - we had one noisy bunch once but on the first offence exchanged numbers and they at least gave us some warning when they were having an end of term party so we could make ourselves scarce. Funnily enough when they moved out their landlord was livid about the state they left the house in and when we chatted about it, he said we should have let him know that they were a pain . There will likely be a clause in their contract that says to not be anti-social. If you can get the landlord/property manager details (try searching Zoopla etc) you may get some traction. I mean, they're not going to get evicted (landlord won't volunteer to lose money) but again a brush with 'the man' may sort them out. 

For parties up the street that suddenly start up without warning the only option is earplugs (the soft foam ones are ok to sleep in) and the comfort that their fun is costing them £27,000 + interest for the rest of their working lives.

For us the biggest aggravation of a student area is not the parties (which as above, you can plan for a bit) it's the drunk knobs on a Wednesday night who decide to march up the street chanting and kicking over bins. Nothing you can do but bawl at them out of the window to STFU, causing even more noise and opening yourself up to reprisals.  We've looked into noise reducing double glazing but we have good years and bad. 

Edited by iwbsheff

If you can find out the details of the landlord that may be your best bet. 

Ask the council, ask the uni, ask other local residents as they may know. 

I know a landlord who acts on information like this. He would go and speak to the tenants and ask them to be considerate of their neighbours and also tell them that he has given his contact number to their neighbours in case of future disturbance.  It usually resolves the issue.  He says it's in his interest to keep the neighbours happy.