Noisy student neighbours

9 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Wouldnt there be something in a student code of conduct, possibly about bringing the University into disrepute or something along those lines?

I doubt it.

A university is not a student's employer. In fact it more like an employee given that students now pay directly for courses and universities are in competition for students' money. In fact that competition is so fierce that it was recently reported that some university courses are offering unconditional places just to attract students to their particular course.

Im not sure how far theyd go to enforce it, but this is from SHU Disciplinary Regulations for Students PDF...

These Disciplinary Regulations may apply when you are away from University premises, including (but not limited to) in the following circumstances:

ï‚· taking part in University activities related to your course of study eg field trips, placements, study visits;

ï‚· representing the University, eg at sporting or cultural events;

ï‚· taking part in voluntary activities recognised by the University;

ï‚· using our services remotely eg University IT services;

ï‚· using social media;

ï‚· in the community if misconduct may harm the University community or damage our reputation, eg antisocial behaviour towards neighbours or in public. See also Annex B.

Edited by nikki-red

Other than lobbing a student off their course or witholding their degree, I suspect there is little the University could do.

I would assume that the 'bringing the university into disrepute' clause is designed for incidents like the kid who urinated on the war memorial in 2009, not having noisy parties which would probably be seen as part of normal student life.

Thanks for all of your replies. I know there's probably not much that can be done. The council will tell me to keep a log, but by the time that action can be taken they'll have moved on! I've found out who the lettings agent are so have dropped them an email. I'll contact Hallam as well. I have heard about the student code of conduct but I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Penistone999 said:

Living in an area with a large student population , you have to expect that .

Absolutely! But these guys are clearly pushing it. Why should anyone tolerate being kept awake until 6:30am every weekend? Doesn't matter where you live!

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

By doing what exactly?

if it is university accomodation, then the students may be in breach of their tenancy agreement but if it is a privately owned, as most of the student accomodation in that part of the city is, there is not a great deal they can do.

My Bold 

Doing the same as they did with the boy who was found urinating on the Sheffield Cenotaph.

23 minutes ago, kidley said:

My Bold 

Doing the same as they did with the boy who was found urinating on the Sheffield Cenotaph.

What did they do?

After the court case, the University said that they were considering disciplinary action but the story seemed to fall out of the news after that.

48 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What did they do?

After the court case, the University said that they were considering disciplinary action but the story seemed to fall out of the news after that.

He jumped before he was pushed.

C&P

A 19-year-old student who caused national outrage when he was photographed urinating on a city's war memorial has quit his university course.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1235992/Shamed-student-caught-urinating-war-memorial-quits-university-disciplinary-hearing.html

You need to keep a log of such events with details of times, noise levels etc. Then you can complain to the uni/landlord/911/whoever. 

But just because a particular person (student/councillor/bricklayer or whatever) lives at that address doesn't mean that individual is responsible for everything that happens there. They may have been away, or out that night, or objected to the noise themselves.

How big is the house, if it's classed as a HMO the council might be abit more pro-active in sorting the issue out, as would the landlord.

With normal noise complaints they basically ignore you till you go away or come back with a ton of proof, by that time the students will have moved out.

Speak to the Uni anyway, at the very least they might pull the lads aside and have a word about their behaviour.

Its comforting to know that some of these students could well be running the country at some point!!!!!!   Everyone is entitled to peace and quiet, and if you have noisy neighbours pull them!!!

On 12/2/2018 at 6:37 PM, Top Cats Hat said:

Other than lobbing a student off their course or witholding their degree, I suspect there is little the University could do.

I would assume that the 'bringing the university into disrepute' clause is designed for incidents like the kid who urinated on the war memorial in 2009, not having noisy parties which would probably be seen as part of normal student life.

Not so. I lived very near to the student village for years. University security were great at dealing with anti-social behaviour, especially drunkenness and late night noise.

On more than one occasion, the ASB resulted in students being disciplined. That normally resulted in a warning about future conduct.