Emachines e40 laptop not booting up.

I have an eight year old EMachine E40 laptop.  it was originally a windows 7 OS then was upgraded to windows 10. its been working fine for the last 8 years until last week. I was watching a film when my screen froze. I couldn't get anything to work or couldn't get it to shut down via normal means so I pressed the start button and shut it down. 

I left it for a few minutes and booted it up, the power lights came on and the fan came on but nothing else. the lights for the HDD don't come on and the screen doesn't come on not even in bios mode. 

I took the battery out and depleted the power thinking that this would work but nothing. I have done some research on you tube and asked people who know something about laptops and they all said the same thing. Take out the ram stick and try it in another port. I have done this and still nothing happens.  

does anyone have any ideas before I take it for a repair and spend stupid money on it.

thanks 

Kal el

If it's really 8 years old, it's done well, and honestly it wouldn't be worth repairing it...

taking the battery out, HDD, and RAM, does it give any beeps at all with no RAM?
any lights AT ALL? come on?
if you get a torch and shine on the screen (With power on) can you see a feint image?

Sorry There's no beep and no image at all even when I shine a light onto the screen.

I can't link it to another monitor as I don't have any leads to do it also it doesn't have any HDMI ports so I cant link it to my tv to see if it is working. 

It does sound as though it's dead i'm afraid, does the charge light even come on when you plug in the charger?

if not, it could be the charger that's died, do you have another one (with the same voltage and Amperage, it will usually say on it (such as 12v 3A)) that you could try?

that is the only other thing I can think of...

The charger is working because there is power going to it. the battery died 5 years ago so its always on charge. 

Thanks for your help Ghozer. much appreciated. 

If the power lights come on, it could still be a RAM issue. The single stick you have may be dead.

It's only one of many things that can cause the problem you mention, As said above, it is getting on and may not be worth spending money on. If you can let me know which RAM is in it, I may have a stick we can try. At least that way, your not going to risk wasting money.

zach could well be right. Interesting article from India here:

https://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-troubleshoot-and-fix-black-blank-no-display-laptops-problem/

which includes 'dead' item further down the article.