Incident Staniforth Road/tram junction, and now works

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

The road has now reopened. Does anyone know if any changes have been made?

To my knowledge no - but then I hadn’t been made aware the road had reopened!

12 hours ago, Hook said:

It’s closed, until the traffic light sequence can be changed, because that’s the direction that vehicles were coming from in both recent tram incidents and, when reviewing previous safety data & recommendations, in various incidents over the years. 

In order to reduce the possibility of further incidents at this junction the road has been closed while modifications can be made so that both the filter lane and straight on show red lights when a tram is going through the junction. 

One of the problems at this junction is that motorists misread the right turn ‘filter’ lane as a green light for straight on too.*

*This doesn’t make said road users anymore competent. 

For the length of time that the junction has been like it is, it is amazing then that many further accidents have not occurred.  The junction has been closed for nearly a week now (it would seem it has now been fully opened(?)) and I am absolutely mystified why it takes so much time to re-set the sequencing of the lights, if that is all that has been done. 

Resequencing of the lights should take no more than a day for a competent programmer but perhaps that is the problem there are no competent programmers available (or as they now like to be called software engineers (or has it changed again?)).

It is to be hoped that drivers now understand that red means stop, 

reopened and back to normal, people still going through on very late amber/red.

It might only take a day to do the actual programming, but as the lights have to co-ordiate with the tram signalling system, I would think( and hope) that there is a change management system in place to make sure that any changes don't cause more problems. This might well mean that it takes longer as both supertram and scc highways ( via AMEY) would be involved.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:42 PM, damageandy said:

reopened and back to normal, people still going through on very late amber/red.

I’m sure Supertram would appreciate being informed if you witness this.