Incident Staniforth Road/tram junction, and now works

I know that the trams will often edge forward before obtaining the proceed signal however I would be very concerned if each time there is a report of a tram passing a stop signal the stock answer is that the CCTV is not working.

as far as I know these cameras are pretty reliable (although one must not underestimate ability of Stagecoach/PTE to get this wrong) and I would send the RAIB a list of these occurrences and the response from Stagecoach for each

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

I know that the trams will often edge forward before obtaining the proceed signal however I would be very concerned if each time there is a report of a tram passing a stop signal the stock answer is that the CCTV is not working.

as far as I know these cameras are pretty reliable (although one must not underestimate ability of Stagecoach/PTE to get this wrong) and I would send the RAIB a list of these occurrences and the response from Stagecoach for each

All in hand.

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

I've never witnessed a tram pass a bar signal here.

what I've frequently seen is trams with a proceed signal unable to do so because a bus is obstructing the tracks as the driver didn't wait until the junction was clear to set off past the line at the traffic lights.

Oh yes, that happens as well, but with much less dangerous results. That is not me excusing it either. It should not happen.

1 hour ago, taxman said:

First South Yorks are reporting that Staniforth Road remains closed whilst whilst safety improvements are made to the road layout. This would imply some flaw in the design of the junction rather than people just randomly going through red lights.

I believe they’re altering the light sequence so the filter lane and the straight ahead both show red when a tram is approaching no. 

This doesn’t imply a flaw in the junction design, more that people can’t tell the difference between two different colours. 

Not a flaw in the design of the junction then simply a flaw in the control of traffic using the junction ie the traffic lights

15 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

There used to be on average 40 safety related investigations at Supertram per month, many related to complaints around drivers going through bars, trapping people in doors etc. Around 1% lead to further action and it is very rare that CCTV is not working. 

Furthermore when a member of public makes a complaint they are simply told that there will be an investigation, the outcome of it is never shared with the complainant. So somebody is telling lots of porkies here. 

Just now, amnicoll said:

Not a flaw in the design of the junction then simply a flaw in the control of traffic using the junction ie the traffic lights

If people look at the wrong traffic light for the lane they’re in that’s not a fault of the traffic lights but a human driving without due care and attention. 

4 hours ago, Andy C said:

I've never witnessed a tram pass a bar signal here.

what I've frequently seen is trams with a proceed signal unable to do so because a bus is obstructing the tracks as the driver didn't wait until the junction was clear to set off past the line at the traffic lights.

Ive seen many buses go through the red lights at the Arundel Gate pedestrian crossing and lost count of the number that just sit on yellow boxes and road junctions.  Still, we arent here to castigate bus drivers are we?  Just the tram drivers it seems

On 12/1/2018 at 10:07 AM, spilldig said:

Just saying but I have twice seen trams go through a red light, both times across the top of Angel Street.

No wonder you have seen trams go through red lights as they don't apply to them. They work on a car systen

23 hours ago, Hook said:

I believe they’re altering the light sequence so the filter lane and the straight ahead both show red when a tram is approaching no. 

This doesn’t imply a flaw in the junction design, more that people can’t tell the difference between two different colours. 

Why does that require the road to be closed?

Edited by Phili Buster

23 hours ago, Hook said:

If people look at the wrong traffic light for the lane they’re in that’s not a fault of the traffic lights but a human driving without due care and attention. 

basically lets bury our heads in the sand and do nothing then to see if we can improve the problem before we have all our trams taken out

An obvious solution would be to introduce (at enormous expense) level crossing gates

I use this junction daily and you've guessed it i witness motorists using it dangerously daily, pretty much without fail. 

Almost as bad as the next junction/tram crossing on Woodbourn Road where you will see 3,4 or even 5 cars  from Worthing Road going through on a red light.

These would do the trick.

Granted, they'd be constantly broken due to repair work, but would entertain us in the meanwhile: