Incident Staniforth Road/tram junction, and now works

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, Andy C said:

Evidence?

Personal observation on several occasions. Do I need to take pictures in order to stop implications I am not being honest? 

11 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Personal observation on several occasions. Do I need to take pictures in order to stop implications I am not being honest? 

Perhaps you could e-mail your observations to Stagecoach and let us know the so we can look out for similar incidents and make our roads and public transport safer. 

Guest busdriver1
20 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Perhaps you could e-mail your observations to Stagecoach and let us know the so we can look out for similar incidents and make our roads and public transport safer. 

I have contacted them on several occasions unfortunately it would appear that all the trams that do S.P.A.D,s have defective cameras. Strange ?

Edited by busdriver1

What many people don't realise is that the signal returns to horizontal within a second of the front of the tram passing it  , to a casual observer they think the tram has moved against the signal.

Guest busdriver1
8 minutes ago, alexander874 said:

What many people don't realise is that the signal returns to horizontal within a second of the front of the tram passing it  , to a casual observer they think the tram has moved against the signal.

On several occasions, the most recent being this week, I have proceeded past a road signal that was green and had not just changed at the top of haymarket to be met with a tram pulling away from the stop there heading towards the Cathedral stop. Either the lights are seriously out of sync there or the trams are passing the signal at stop. Frequent reports of this always produce the answer that the ctv on the tram was not working. :-) 

Edited by busdriver1

CCTV evidence shouldn't be necessary. 

The tram signalling system is computer controlled and is presumably integrated with the city traffic light system. As a light's status changes when passed by a train, there should be a digital record of a train passing a signal on red if not an actual alert.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

On several occasions, the most recent being this week, I have proceeded past a road signal that was green and had not just changed at the top of haymarket to be met with a tram pulling away from the stop there heading towards the Cathedral stop. Either the lights are seriously out of sync there or the trams are passing the signal at stop. Frequent reports of this always produce the answer that the ctv on the tram was not working. :-) 

It is quite possible for a tram to be across or moving across this junction with a green light showing. It would be difficult to see a tram pulling from Fitzalan Square stop. Usually the trams do not wait at the platform for a signal to proceed, they will edge up to the signal and then stop/proceed. Proceeding against a stop signal would be a sackable offence.

Now as you visit Sheffield City centre frequently you will know this junction well and since "several occasions" has now become "frequent" it is time to pass on  the reports you made  to Stagecoach to RAIB.

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Proceeding against a stop signal would be a sackable offence.

And is completely pointless.

You don't get to go home early if you finish your routes quickly. 

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

It is quite possible for a tram to be across or moving across this junction with a green light showing. It would be difficult to see a tram pulling from Fitzalan Square stop. Usually the trams do not wait at the platform for a signal to proceed, they will edge up to the signal and then stop/proceed. Proceeding against a stop signal would be a sackable offence.

Now as you visit Sheffield City centre frequently you will know this junction well and since "several occasions" has now become "frequent" it is time to pass on  the reports you made  to Stagecoach to RAIB.

All in hand, there is also another government body looking into it. 

On 12/1/2018 at 10:54 AM, amnicoll said:

Trams going through red lights?

The red lights that spilldig has seen are for other transport and are likely to be red for the purpose of preventing road transport colliding with the tram. tram s on the tram network use separate signals (basically white dots) for their right to proceed and to indicate the route the points are set for.

It has to be extreme bad luck that a second tram/train in a month has had an accident on the very same crossing both apparently caused by traffic ignoring the red light but I wonder just how long it will take the RAIB to report back and make  recommendations

Is it a new Sheffield sport that I am unaware of to aim your vehicle at the new tram trains?

First South Yorks are reporting that Staniforth Road remains closed whilst whilst safety improvements are made to the road layout. This would imply some flaw in the design of the junction rather than people just randomly going through red lights.

17 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I've never witnessed a tram pass a bar signal here.

what I've frequently seen is trams with a proceed signal unable to do so because a bus is obstructing the tracks as the driver didn't wait until the junction was clear to set off past the line at the traffic lights.