Incident Staniforth Road/tram junction, and now works

According to the BBC local news website there must have been 3 crashes. One on Staniforth Rd, one on Stainforth Rd and one on Satinforth Rd.

there wasn't an air ambulance, from what I saw it was the police helicopter following the car then left when it crashed, I never saw any helicopter land around that time, an the people in that car are very lucky to be alive its about half its width of what it should be

Guest busdriver1
15 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

And it's not the fault of the tram if drivers decide to ignore the traffic lights. 

And its not the fault of the car if the tram skips a stop signal.. Plenty of them do so..........

13 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

And its not the fault of the car if the tram skips a stop signal.. Plenty of them do so..........

All trams have cameras. Employers get sacked.

Cars usually don't and their drivers don't sack themselves.

The incidents of  rail crossing collisions is overwhelmingly the fault of the road user.

Misunderstanding the junction is a major cause of accidents at junctions (a consideration in first incident on Staniforth Road).

Speeding at road junctions is also a major cause.

Both very unlikely for trams, but has happened.

However the RAIB will be over this like a rash as the reason involving the coincidence (or not) of two tram trains being involved will need to be established.  So we will find out.

You must report incidents of trams passing stop signals. They can be reviewed and action taken. They are big heavy things and could cause a lot of damage to other road users. I reported an incident at this junction in the first week of Supertram operation when a passenger throwing emergency brake application to avoid a fire engine, took place- no injuries and the driver called it in.

16 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

And it's not the fault of the tram if drivers decide to ignore the traffic lights. 

Just saying but I have twice seen trams go through a red light, both times across the top of Angel Street.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

Evidence?

12 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Just saying but I have twice seen trams go through a red light, both times across the top of Angel Street.

That'd be a challenge, trams don't have colour signals

15 hours ago, dutch said:

Maybe that is how it happened. But could you please give more clarity on where your knowledge that someone ignored the lights comes from?

15 hours ago, dutch said:

Maybe that is how it happened. But could you please give more clarity on where your knowledge that someone ignored the lights comes from?

Someone who says they were in the car behind posted on Sheffield Online Facebook that they witness the car jump the red light.

The previous collisions at this location it was proved the tram had a proceed signal and the road traffic had red lights which were ignored.

12 hours ago, boringal said:

there wasn't an air ambulance, from what I saw it was the police helicopter following the car then left when it crashed, I never saw any helicopter land around that time, an the people in that car are very lucky to be alive its about half its width of what it should be

The air ambulance   was there ,it landed in the field at side of Ripon St.  I was there.

Trams going through red lights?

The red lights that spilldig has seen are for other transport and are likely to be red for the purpose of preventing road transport colliding with the tram. tram s on the tram network use separate signals (basically white dots) for their right to proceed and to indicate the route the points are set for.

It has to be extreme bad luck that a second tram/train in a month has had an accident on the very same crossing both apparently caused by traffic ignoring the red light but I wonder just how long it will take the RAIB to report back and make  recommendations

17 hours ago, dutch said:

It's a reasonable assumption given the number of people I witness running reds on a daily based in South Yorkshire alone. 

That said it could also have been the tram driver ignoring his lights however balance of probability says its the former. 

You know what they say about assuming

55 minutes ago, Resident said:

It's a reasonable assumption given the number of people I witness running reds on a daily based in South Yorkshire alone. 

That said it could also have been the tram driver ignoring his lights however balance of probability says its the former. 

A judge would not draw conclusions that way.

Andi C post #18 does a better job at it.

Every driver has right to be treated with respect until actual evidence shows they were wrong.

Maybe driver ran light while having a seizure, its unlikely but does happen.

50 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

You know what they say about assuming

People quote asanine comments?