Nether green school

My mum and dad probable went to Nether Green starting around 1945.

Hi Mike

Yes, I was there until I was six in 1959 before we moved house and I moved to Lydgate.

Can remember the school dinners were served just down the road. 

Teachers...Mrs Jones, Mrs Spurr and Mrs Baker ( or may have been Miss for any one of them)

Dark red/maroon blazer with NGS letters intertwined on breast pocket.

Will need a memory jog to come up with any school pals.

Yes,remember all those teachers,the infant teachers  I recall, Mrs. Baker was my first teacher when I was five in 1949,in later life her son became a good friend and was my best man at my wedding.

School dinners were down the road,missed them thankfully as I lived close by.

Still remember the names of all the teachers,some good,some not so.The best I found,was Mr.Wood in the last year 1959.

12 hours ago, scargill said:

My mum and dad probable went to Nether Green starting around 1945.

I started 1949 maybe knew them as senior to me

maybe knew them as senior to me I started 1949

Miss Baker as still teaching in 1965 when I started at Nether Green.

I used to get a bus, by myself,  from Nether Green to Ranmoor church and walk up by the church and the halfway up Darwin Lane to get home. I can remember the fare being 1/2 penny and occasionally I’d spend it on two Black Jacks, at a farthing each, and walk home from Nether Green. 

Theres no way a six year old would be allowed to do that these days let alone know how to.

8 hours ago, Morts said:

I used to get a bus, by myself,  from Nether Green to Ranmoor church and walk up by the church and the halfway up Darwin Lane to get home. I can remember the fare being 1/2 penny and occasionally I’d spend it on two Black Jacks, at a farthing each, and walk home from Nether Green. 

Theres no way a six year old would be allowed to do that these days let alone know how to.

Were the Black Jacks from the sweet shop across the road on Fulwood road or the little sweet shop on Nethergreen rd,can remember calling in that one on way home from school for all sorts of delights

It would be the one across the road although I can remember the one down the hill from the school which I would pass when we lived on Graham Road.