Increase in knife crime.

1 minute ago, Lex Luthor said:

And if you have a good reason for carrying one, then no problem. 

However, if you don't, I'm afraid something has to be done to stop these wicked crimes, and if that means some genuine people have to be more careful and selective about when they actually need to carry a knife for reasonable causes, or face the consequences, then so be it.  Whatever we are doing now is obviously not good enough. 

If it doesn't lock, not a fixed blade and the blade isn't over 3 inches I don't need any reason at all. That's the law.

And good luck stabbing someone with a slipjoint knife, you're just as likely to lose a finger.

We need to talk about the violence not necessarily the weapon used. Why should genuine people (whatever they are) be forced to change because the authorities can't get a handle on violence and fear of violence amongst our young people.

6 hours ago, Bob Arctor said:

And a white girl who used to be in the scouts. It shouldn't matter, because the tragedies are equal, but it will matter more to politicians than black boys being killed in places like Peckham.

Looking for a black youth in connection with the murder, bob, so perhaps it will matter more. It does seem to be getting a lot of coverage.

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

And if you have a good reason for carrying one, then no problem. 

However, if you don't, I'm afraid something has to be done to stop these wicked crimes, and if that means some genuine people have to be more careful and selective about when they actually need to carry a knife for reasonable causes, or face the consequences, then so be it.  Whatever we are doing now is obviously not good enough. 

There's no good reason for people to take illegal drugs , but as a society we can't control that so there are clamourings to legalise it,so those that want to partake can .

Why not do that with knives - it certainly won't make knife crime any more prevelant.

Criminalising carrying a knife obviously isn't working.

I similarly carry a Swiss army knife quite frequently.

14 minutes ago, willman said:

I similarly carry a Swiss army knife quite frequently.

And presumably you haven't felt the need to stab someone with it?

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

And presumably you haven't felt the need to stab someone with it?

I've never felt the need to stab anything tbh

Just now, willman said:

I've never felt the need to stab anything tbh

Of course you haven't because you a) not a nutter b)Not a drug dealer c)Not a teen fearful of the two above.

Ergo, you (and I carry) something that's useful and not a weapon.

47 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If it doesn't lock, not a fixed blade and the blade isn't over 3 inches I don't need any reason at all. That's the law.

And good luck stabbing someone with a slipjoint knife, you're just as likely to lose a finger.

We need to talk about the violence not necessarily the weapon used. Why should genuine people (whatever they are) be forced to change because the authorities can't get a handle on violence and fear of violence amongst our young people.

But that argument kinda validates thugs carrying knives to protect themselves from other thugs don't you think, considering their reason for carrying a knife, and their unwillingness to change can just as easily be blamed on the authorities failing to get an handle on the escalating violence?

15 minutes ago, danot said:

But that argument kinda validates thugs carrying knives to protect themselves from other thugs don't you think, considering their reason for carrying a knife, and their unwillingness to change can just as easily be blamed on the authorities failing to get an handle on the escalating violence?

Not in the slightest. I'm carrying a Swiss army knife, often a keyring size one. I could do far more damage with a screwdriver should I be so inclined. I don't carry a knife to protect myself. My situation is a long way from a teenager with a kitchen knife wrapped with cardboard stuffed down his sock.

Teens killing teens is a relatively new thing. Knives are not.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Not in the slightest. I'm carrying a Swiss army knife, often a keyring size one. I could do far more damage with a screwdriver should I be so inclined. I don't carry a knife to protect myself. My situation is a long way from a teenager with a kitchen knife wrapped with cardboard stuffed down his sock.

Teens killing teens is a relatively new thing. Knives are not.

I wasn't questioning why you want to carry a knife, I was illustrating how blaming the authorities for not getting an handle on knife violence kinda validate's the reason behind more and more teen thugs finding it necessary to carry a knife to protect themselves amidst the escalating violence.

This weekend we all heard the heart-breaking news of the murder of Yousef Ghaleb in Manchester and Jodie Chesney in London. Young lives cut short through senseless violence.

Weak ,soft sentences arnt working. If you are caught carrying a knife it should carry a minimum 20 year sentence. If you stab someone , minimum 30 year sentence ,and if you kill someone with a knife , a whole life tariff . Until our weak , spineless   politicians and Judges get tough nothing will change . 

And i dont give a monkey`s about  the liberal , human rights muppets who would say those sentences are too severe. 

7 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Weak ,soft sentences arnt working. If you are caught carrying a knife it should carry a minimum 20 year sentence. If you stab someone , minimum 30 year sentence ,and if you kill someone with a knife , a whole life tariff . Until our weak , spineless   politicians and Judges get tough nothing will change . 

And i dont give a monkey`s about  the liberal , human rights muppets who would say those sentences are too severe. 

Well I think tax dodgers and illegal users of red diesel should have similar strong sentences. 

Stop trying to put me in the same bracket as you.

EDIT - but our reverse robin hood from penistone (robs from the poor gives to hissen) makes a valid point in a round about sort of way. I won't do 20 years for carrying a knife, or 5 or 5000 because the police won't check me. They aren't checking teenagers either possibly because there aren't police on the ground, possibly, just possibly because people aren't paying enough tax. 

Edited by tinfoilhat