A new influx of boat people from france.

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

It's in reference to posters who are saying the blocking of illegal migrants is unjust. We have an asylum policy and it has to be enforced. The fact migrants have travelled through safe countries, contrary to what should be done also makes the situation harder to understand.

Are you suggesting that the asylum policy isn't being enforced?

7 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Are you suggesting that the asylum policy isn't being enforced?

No. You'll have to read what I've written in previous posts

24 minutes ago, woodview said:

It's in reference to posters who are saying the blocking of illegal migrants is unjust. We have an asylum policy and it has to be enforced. The fact migrants have travelled through safe countries, contrary to what should be done also makes the situation harder to understand.

So, can you confirm that the people crossing the med and channel aren't economic migrants? What are they fleeing in their home countries? FCO travel advice to Nigeria, Guinea and Ivory coast suggest excercising caution. They aren't warzones. 

This may help you 

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum/the_facts_about_asylum

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum/facts_about_asylum_-_page_4

40 minutes ago, woodview said:

So, can you confirm that the people crossing the med and channel aren't economic migrants? What are they fleeing in their home countries? FCO travel advice to Nigeria, Guinea and Ivory coast suggest excercising caution. They aren't warzones. 

Refugees are not obliged to claim asylum at the first safe country.

How could I personally confirm something about ALL the people crossing the med.  The fact that you think they're homogenous tells us something about your thought process anyway.

58 minutes ago, woodview said:

What have Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Guinea got to do with the boat people coming to the UK - the vast bulk are from Iran, Iraq, Syria and Pakistan.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Refugees are not obliged to claim asylum at the first safe country.

How could I personally confirm something about ALL the people crossing the med.  The fact that you think they're homogenous tells us something about your thought process anyway.

I don't think 'they' are a homogenous mass, that's your prejudiced opinion on anyone who dare speak ill of any migration -   fall back on the old 'racist' card that has been your go-to for so long.

Previously I have said in this thread:

Amongst those illegal immigrants may be people who genuinely need refuge.

Economic illegal migrants have made it much harder for the genuine persecuted to be distinguished and they get less sympathy than they otherwise could and should have got.

3 hours ago, woodview said:

Your asylum policy is not your immigration policy. It is framed by a different set of international agreements, and chiefly by the 1951 Refugee Convention. None of which states, that refugees must stop in the first safe country, contrary to populist dog whistles.

The situation is what it is, and the unintended (albeit predictable, and predicted at the time) consequence of US & friends' adventurism of old. You should have left Saddam alone after Gulf War 1. Chirac, Schröder and so many others told Bush, Blair & co. at the time. But what did we see? Glee at the 'freedom fries' jibes.

Et bis repetita with the 'stan, Syria, Lybia, etc.

If you're going to play world cop, looking after refugees from the strife which you occasionally creates, directly or not, comes with the job. Countries should assume the full consequences of their acts, no differently to adult individuals.

Edited by L00b

6 hours ago, Halibut said:

I think you're both wilfully ignorant and frankly, morally bankrupt.

You need another catchphrase. Accusing everyone as morally bankrupt whenever they have a differing opinion only lessens the statement. 

5 hours ago, Delayed said:

You need another catchphrase. Accusing everyone as morally bankrupt whenever they have a differing opinion only lessens the statement. 

I'll respond to this in the morning.

16 hours ago, woodview said:

I don't think 'they' are a homogenous mass, that's your prejudiced opinion on anyone who dare speak ill of any migration -   fall back on the old 'racist' card that has been your go-to for so long.

Previously I have said in this thread:

Amongst those illegal immigrants may be people who genuinely need refuge.

Economic illegal migrants have made it much harder for the genuine persecuted to be distinguished and they get less sympathy than they otherwise could and should have got.

You must be confused, because you asked.

"can you confirm that the people crossing the med and channel aren't economic migrants?"

Now you say that these people aren't homogenous, so your previous question makes no sense.  Why did you ask a question that made no sense?

I didn't say racist, wasn't even thinking it to be honest, but if you think it about yourself, I won't argue.

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You must be confused, because you asked.

"can you confirm that the people crossing the med and channel aren't economic migrants?"

Now you say that these people aren't homogenous, so your previous question makes no sense.  Why did you ask a question that made no sense?

I didn't say racist, wasn't even thinking it to be honest, but if you think it about yourself, I won't argue.

It was implicit in your statement saying I thought of them as a homogenous mass.

Tbh I cba discussing with you any more, you cannot even begin to consider everyone coming here isn't from a war stricken country, and anyone who says otherwise has a right wing agenda.

So many people are sick of your type of attitudes and comments that have stifled sensible debate in this country.

Guest makapaka
58 minutes ago, woodview said:

It was implicit in your statement saying I thought of them as a homogenous mass.

Tbh I cba discussing with you any more, you cannot even begin to consider everyone coming here isn't from a war stricken country, and anyone who says otherwise has a right wing agenda.

So many people are sick of your type of attitudes and comments that have stifled sensible debate in this country.

Bit ironic refusing to debate and then accusing someone else of stifling debate though eh?