Fury v wilder - only going to frustrate aj?

2 hours ago, geared said:

Tyson in prime was arguably the finest heavyweight the world has seen.  Not just his power but movement and skill were second to none.

That form didn't last though, by the mid-90's he wasn't the same man.

I believe that form only disappeared due to a combination of things- especially after Rooney split.

Additionally the jail sentence, state of mind and Don King manipulation , Mike was never going to be the fighter of late 80s.

18 hours ago, kidley said:

neither of them would last very long with the boxers of the muhammad ali era, also M Tyson.

having said that i am very glad that he did win it.

In my opinion the size difference between most of the heavyweights in the Ali era and Fury would simply be too much to overcome (even if some of them were better boxers/ fighters which, with the exception of Ali, I honestly don't believe they were).

When Ali fought Foreman he was around 220lb so would have been giving away over 50lbs in weight, as well as 6 inches in height and about 5 inches in reach to Fury as he was on Saturday. Even 'Big' George Foreman was only around 225lbs in the first part of his career and 6'3". Frazier, Liston, Norton, Paterson etc even smaller.

As for Mike Tyson- I think he would have given nightmares to anyone between probably '86 and '89 although I still think Fury would have been too big for him, kept it long and outboxed him even then, the version of Tyson after Douglas in '90 would have got exactly what Lewis did to him.

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

As excuses go, pretty lame? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/boxing/51623455#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Oh for the old days when boxers walked to the ring in a dressing gown with a towel round their neck. 

Funny as I was saying that to my little lad who had got up to watch the fight live.

Far too much pretentious crap now, wasting time just to make an entrance.

Even looking back to Ali, Fraizer, Foreman- these guys had huge fights but just came in simply to do the job. Mike Tyson himself was also just in shorts and maybe a small top or towel on his back.