Wensley street prefabs

Hi bothamlad  -  When you lived in the area, I mentioned 'Goodlad' which you knew of, did you also know a 'Joan Knowles' or her family  who I think lived in  the same vicinity?  Did you or your family frequent the pub around the corner on the hill or the 'Who can tell' up the street from you?  Thanks for the info!   fleetwood 

9 hours ago, fleetwood said:

Hi bothamlad  -  When you lived in the area, I mentioned 'Goodlad' which you knew of, did you also know a 'Joan Knowles' or her family  who I think lived in  the same vicinity?  Did you or your family frequent the pub around the corner on the hill or the 'Who can tell' up the street from you?  Thanks for the info!   fleetwood 

Hi fleetwood,my mum and dad used to go in the who can tell,they regularly went in grimesthorpe club too. i didnt know  the knowles family,the ones i remember were,teal,goodall,renwick,pinder,goodlad,sutcliffe ,brown and butler.These were from the 60's.

13 hours ago, blackhill said:

Just been on Google street view. There is a massive mosque opposite to where my grandad and you lived. That was street view 2017. Area where the house was is just trees. Street lamp still there. Not original one obviously.

i remember the old street lamp ,mum and dad always moaned that it shone through the bedroom curtains at night.Do you remember the high stone wall to the right as you went out of the back door , I recall one afternoon it all collapsed,a couple of minutes before that mum had moved my sister and her pram into the house ! There was stone and soil and rubble covering the yard.

Yes I remember the high wall. Me and my cousin Jacqueline (she lived in Wensley Street) used to play in the yard a lot.  Weren't the toilets at the top of yard, opposite the back door?  

18 hours ago, blackhill said:

Yes I remember the high wall. Me and my cousin Jacqueline (she lived in Wensley Street) used to play in the yard a lot.  Weren't the toilets at the top of yard, opposite the back door?  

your right,the toilets were at the top of the yard.It was terrible going out to use the loo on a cold winter night !! There were two at the top and two more lower down on the left,as we got older we had cricket stumps and football posts and crossbar painted on to the outside wall. We had some cracking games,kids came from allover to play.

Edited by bothamlad

2 minutes ago, bothamlad said:

your right,the toilets were at the top of the yard.It was terrible going out to use the loo on a cold winter night !! There were two at the top and two more lower down on the left,as we got older we had cricket stumps and football posts and crossbar painted on to the outside wall. We had some cracking games,kids came from allover to play.

i definitely remember an older boy and girl playing outside our house,now you mentioned your cousin was a girl,it must have been you two.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:19, gaz 786 said:

Where the trees are was known as smiths field pigeon kotes ? All over the lamp post could be origeonal I lived on moss st only ones I can recall up hill are pinders cornthwaites crosses Bailyes and targets corner shop 

I had family who lived on Moss Street. my grand parents, Charlotte and Thomas

Didn’t the knowles family lived at the last house on cyclops street 

Peanut what is your name I know someone called peanut as well 

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:17, hehe said:

Peanut what is your name I know someone called peanut as well 

steve

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:58, gaz 786 said:

Was that Clark???? 

yes