Wensley street prefabs

13 hours ago, fleetwood said:

Did you live near a lad called with the surname 'Goodlad' his first name might have been Kenny.  fleetwood

Hi fleetwood.Goodlad family lived opposite us.Susan was the same age as me ,think she had a younger brother but can't remember his name.

11 hours ago, St Petre said:

Did you know Alan West, his mate Phi Ward or Ken Sheldon ?

Sorry i don't recall any of those names. Might have been a different age group.

1 hour ago, blackhill said:

hi Bothamlad. Unbelievable. My Grannie and Grandad lived in that house. They moved to Botham Street from Deerlands Ave in the early 50s. I and my cousin, who used to live in Wensley Street prefabs, used to visit them all the time.  My Grannie passed in 1958. My Grandad passed in 1961.  There was a couple who used to lodge there. The house has long gone now, just waste land last time I saw.

Hi blackhill.Must have been 1959/60 when we moved in.I was only 4 yrs old then but i remember the old chap . Used to call him little grandad.I remember sitting and watching him make the fire up in the kitchen,he always had a sweet of some sorts for me. i believe his name was Fothergill.We lived there till 1973.

That was my grandad Joshua William Fothergill.  I am his grandson Edward. So the couple who lived there was your mom and dad. Didn't see much of them but they were very nice.  Can't remember them having a son. But obviously must have had. I think they lived in the front room, not sure.  Small world eh

18 minutes ago, bothamlad said:

Hi fleetwood.Goodlad family lived opposite us.Susan was the same age as me ,think she had a younger brother but can't remember his name.

Sorry i don't recall any of those names. Might have been a different age group.

hi fleetwood,the more i think about it i'm  sure ken was susan's father.

2 minutes ago, blackhill said:

That was my grandad Joshua William Fothergill.  I am his grandson Edward. So the couple who lived there was your mom and dad. Didn't see much of them but they were very nice.  Can't remember them having a son. But obviously must have had. I think they lived in the front room, not sure.  Small world eh

Thats amazing blackhill.I can't really remember much else until i started school.I do remember he got caught in a snowfall off our roof when he was making a path for us all,i think my mum said he caught pneumonia after that. Mum and Dad always spoke of your Grandad when i was growing up.Certainly is a small world.

Yeah he died  in hospital (royal infirmary) of pneumonia. Amazing that sometime in the pass we knew each other. Your name not Robert or Steven  is it?  Have a good New Year.

3 hours ago, blackhill said:

Yeah he died  in hospital (royal infirmary) of pneumonia. Amazing that sometime in the pass we knew each other. Your name not Robert or Steven  is it?  Have a good New Year.

i'm pretty sure my mum visited your grandad  when he was in hospital.My name is Stephen !! Same to you Edward,happy new year.

Next time I am in Sheffield, might go and take a look at Botham Street. Just to reminisce a bit. Crazy eh.

Hi all, I grew up on Botham St. one of the houses just below the bus stop. My gran lived on Upwell Hill, I can vaguely remember the prefabs being built. Two of the girls I went to school with lived on there.

3 hours ago, blackhill said:

Next time I am in Sheffield, might go and take a look at Botham Street. Just to reminisce a bit. Crazy eh.

i found it really weird walking around that area.For a couple of years i worked on carlisle street east,so went to look around botham street ,and carlisle road,what a difference.

3 hours ago, bothamlad said:

i found it really weird walking around that area.For a couple of years i worked on carlisle street east,so went to look around botham street ,and carlisle road,what a difference.

i forgot to mention that Botham street is no longer there.Carlisle rd has been extended up to hunsley street.Where i and your grandfather used to live is just overgrown and further down is a cement works.Sadly a community long gone.

Just been on Google street view. There is a massive mosque opposite to where my grandad and you lived. That was street view 2017. Area where the house was is just trees. Street lamp still there. Not original one obviously.