Wensley street prefabs

Does anyone know where I can get a street map of sheffield 4 during the 1950s

Anything particular you are waanting? I have a map which I think is from around 1950's. I know the area - used to go to Reform Chapel

Edited by johnpm

If you want a good map of how Wensley Street prefabs were in the early '50's' scroll to Map 61 on this link,  https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-22810

Edited by Voldy

My Aunty and Uncle used to live in Wensley Street. Top left hand corner I think. Used to go there often when I was younger.

Had some really good memories of Wensley street prefabs back in the late 60s. There was a bunch of us from grimesthorpe school,we used to head up there in the evenings ,meet up with a couple of lasses who used to live there,Lynn and her mate.What a friendly area that used to be. How times change.

Hi Bothamlad.  Regarding your name.  Didn't happen to live in Botham Street did you?

I used to deliver papers in the early/mid 60s for Revills at Firth Park. The Wensley Estate was on one of their rounds.

6 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

I delivered for underwoods at page hall the oval at firth park was part of my round we could have swapped lol

It's quite possible Gaz. Most of Revills rounds were on the Brushes estate so I also did The Oval, Horninglow, Stubbin etc. The Page Hall round, (Firth Park Rd, Firth Park Ave, Hinde House Lane, Wensley estate and then down to Page Hall terraces) was a bit of an oddity, but was probably because Revills lived down there. It was a long drag but we got 2d to catch the bus back.

I can't actually remember crossing paths with any other paperboys, but I used to bump into a papergirl whose round came down Windmill and onto Hinde House. We used to pop into the allotments to errrr... get to know each other.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:46 AM, blackhill said:

Hi Bothamlad.  Regarding your name.  Didn't happen to live in Botham Street did you?

hi.yes indeed i did.lived at the very bottom of botham street. it was the house that stood on its own,we had an open yard on one side .

5 hours ago, bothamlad said:

hi.yes indeed i did.lived at the very bottom of botham street. it was the house that stood on its own,we had an open yard on one side .

Did you live near a lad called with the surname 'Goodlad' his first name might have been Kenny.  fleetwood

8 hours ago, bothamlad said:

Did you know Alan West, his mate Phi Ward or Ken Sheldon ?

hi Bothamlad. Unbelievable. My Grannie and Grandad lived in that house. They moved to Botham Street from Deerlands Ave in the early 50s. I and my cousin, who used to live in Wensley Street prefabs, used to visit them all the time.  My Grannie passed in 1958. My Grandad passed in 1961.  There was a couple who used to lodge there. The house has long gone now, just waste land last time I saw.