National videogame museum reopens in sheffield!

For a museum you're right, it didn't really teach you about the history of gaming (especially as Sheffield has its own gaming history which wasn't mentioned).

Whats at crookes? , I'm all ears. 

On 11/25/2018 at 8:07 PM, Dave h-j said:

Did it *actually* fail in Nottingham?  Sounds to me like they wanted to expand and had no space. 

Very good feedback on Tripadvisor too. 

Was it it not very good when you went?

I went there twice when it was in Nottingham and we enjoyed it.  They moved to Sheffield because they needed more space and couldn't expand where they were, not because they were failing!

The. One at crooks is retro game img at Wesley hall church .once a month on a sat there is one this sat 3pm till 5pm . My miss and son love it all the old games free of charge ..they ask for donations to keep running 

Hmm, I might pop up to the one at Wesley Hall, that's where I train every second Monday in Taekwopndo.

Not my cup of tea, or glass of Merlot, especially at that price!

The venture at Crookes though I must try.

Edited by kaytie
Adding

Is the museum still open?  If it is then it’s doing better than I expected. If it is still around in six months time I will eat humble pie. 

My miss and son went again sat was free and a great day for them ..why any £20 for **** 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, adamf said:

I went there twice when it was in Nottingham and we enjoyed it.  They moved to Sheffield because they needed more space and couldn't expand where they were, not because they were failing!

They were failing.  They were on the verge of going under until an investor stepped in with a cash injection.

20 hours ago, trainwalker said:

Is the museum still open?  If it is then it’s doing better than I expected. If it is still around in six months time I will eat humble pie. 

Kind of, but only at the weekends.   Walk past the place and it looks like it did a year ago . . boarded up shop windows.   You would think they would make an effort and have some kind of window display to entice people in.  The only indicator that it is the museum is a cheap sign - no lights, no neon, no electronics.  Nothing.

The whole thing shouts 'half-arsed job done on a shoestring.'

13 hours ago, bendix said:

They were failing.  They were on the verge of going under until an investor stepped in with a cash injection.

Kind of, but only at the weekends.   Walk past the place and it looks like it did a year ago . . boarded up shop windows.   You would think they would make an effort and have some kind of window display to entice people in.  The only indicator that it is the museum is a cheap sign - no lights, no neon, no electronics.  Nothing.

The whole thing shouts 'half-arsed job done on a shoestring.'

You are absolutely right Bendix. For me it’s been brought to the wrong part of town. There isn’t much going on anywhere in Sheffield but there is even less around the area that the museum has been placed. Apart from B&M and a couple of  freezer shops there isn’t anything much to entice people to that area. Probably the only attraction in that area is the Bankers Draft. I would love to be proven wrong but in reality this project is destined to the same way as the National Centre For Popular Music. 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, trainwalker said:

It's only open 3 days a week which isn't great, especially for a tourist attraction.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:51 AM, trainwalker said:

this project is destined to the same way as the National Centre For Popular Music. 

To become the new Students Union??

13 minutes ago, geared said:

It's only open 3 days a week which isn't great, especially for a tourist attraction.

To become the new Students Union??

Well I meant it was destined to fail just like the pop music place did.  I do think all that part of town should be demolished as it is awful. 

Yea I know, I agree on both counts, that end of town has some nice buildings, but they're generally hidden but horrific concrete monsters.

The pop music centre was a total disaster also, it was only open for about a year which is silly.  They blew all the budget building the place then had nothing left to run it.

The Uni bought it at a tenth of the cost just a few short years after it opened.